Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My "frost-free" freezer is frosting up

Refrigerator:

Manufacturer: Whirlpool
Model: ET20GMXFN01
S/N: EH0313131
Mfg. Date: 01-98

Whirlpool refrigerator with upper frost-free freezer compartment

Okay, so a month or so ago I had a similar problem. I took everything
out of the freezer and gave it a good cleaning. I had way too much
stuff in there, so I threw out quite a bit. At the time, I could feel
cold air coming through the freezer vents. I also cleaned the coils
under the refrigerator and inspected the door seal. There were no
cracks or gaps, etc. So I reloaded the freezer and made sure the air
vents were not blocked. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the frost
starting to build up on the top front area. This would be the area
directly in front of the door when it is closed. I now have large
frosted icicles accumulating in this area.

The food in the freezer is frozen and the refrigerator compartment
keeps food cold. How can I tell if the fan needs to be replaced? How
do I access the fan compartment? If it turns out that the fan is not
the problem, the only other offender I can suspect is the door seal.
However, I'm reluctant to consider the seal as a first option because
it looks good and makes a tight seal all around when the door is
closed.