Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My "frost-free" freezer is frosting up

The door seal is the only choice that makes sense. Fan, and
defrost equipment would make the freezer frost at the back wall.

How can I tell if the fan needs to be replaced?

CY: Bad evaporator fan, you won't hear it run while the fridge is
running. Open the freezer, and push the door button, see if you
can hear it. You mentioned feeling cold air, so that's not
likely. Also if the refrig is cold, the fan isn't the problem.

How
: do I access the fan compartment?

CY: Typically take all the food and shelves out of the freezer.
Take the back wall out of the freezer.

If it turns out that the fan is not
: the problem, the only other offender I can suspect is the door
seal.

CY: Well, there are other problems that can be the case. From
what you describe, it's a bad door seal.

: However, I'm reluctant to consider the seal as a first option
because
: it looks good and makes a tight seal all around when the door
is
: closed.
:

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Baylynx" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Refrigerator:
:
: Manufacturer: Whirlpool
: Model: ET20GMXFN01
: S/N: EH0313131
: Mfg. Date: 01-98
:
: Whirlpool refrigerator with upper frost-free freezer
compartment
:
: Okay, so a month or so ago I had a similar problem. I took
everything
: out of the freezer and gave it a good cleaning. I had way too
much
: stuff in there, so I threw out quite a bit. At the time, I
could feel
: cold air coming through the freezer vents. I also cleaned the
coils
: under the refrigerator and inspected the door seal. There were
no
: cracks or gaps, etc. So I reloaded the freezer and made sure
the air
: vents were not blocked. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the
frost
: starting to build up on the top front area. This would be the
area
: directly in front of the door when it is closed. I now have
large
: frosted icicles accumulating in this area.
:
: The food in the freezer is frozen and the refrigerator
compartment
: keeps food cold. How can I tell if the fan needs to be
replaced? How
: do I access the fan compartment? If it turns out that the fan