Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Paint Question

Hi,

I tend to agree as often mentioned that the quality levels of paint from the
different "name brand" paint producers is probably such that the care in the
application is probably more important. And that the differences between
brands is secondary. (live in New England)

But, one does like to have personal experiences and opinions to evaluate, of
course.

So, let me please ask.

For the top of the line in each (BTW: which would be called what for each
?):

Any opinions on California vs Benjamin Moore for Latex exterior house paint
?
Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I tend to agree as often mentioned that the quality levels of paint from
the different "name brand" paint producers is probably such that the care
in the application is probably more important. And that the differences
between brands is secondary. (live in New England)

But, one does like to have personal experiences and opinions to evaluate,
of course.

So, let me please ask.

For the top of the line in each (BTW: which would be called what for each
?):

Any opinions on California vs Benjamin Moore for Latex exterior house
paint ?
Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

Never tried either of those. 20+ years ago, I got hooked on Devoe and
Martin-Senour and never looked back. No reason to change once I've found a
product that always makes me happy.

By the way, perfect technique will not compensate for a product that's
trash.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Consumer Reports just rated paint. Check it out at the library.

Interior Behr has a great rating though I found it drippy. I am not sure
they considered ease of application in their rating.

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I tend to agree as often mentioned that the quality levels of paint from
the different "name brand" paint producers is probably such that the care
in the application is probably more important. And that the differences
between brands is secondary. (live in New England)

But, one does like to have personal experiences and opinions to evaluate,
of course.

So, let me please ask.

For the top of the line in each (BTW: which would be called what for each
?):

Any opinions on California vs Benjamin Moore for Latex exterior house
paint ?
Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:12:11 -0400, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

:Hi,
:
:I tend to agree as often mentioned that the quality levels of paint from the
:different "name brand" paint producers is probably such that the care in the
:application is probably more important. And that the differences between
:brands is secondary. (live in New England)
:
:But, one does like to have personal experiences and opinions to evaluate, of
:course.
:
:So, let me please ask.
:
:For the top of the line in each (BTW: which would be called what for each
:?):
:
:Any opinions on California vs Benjamin Moore for Latex exterior house paint
:?
:Why ?
:
:Thanks,
:Bob

I went into my "local" Benjamin Moore store yesterday and inquired about
exterior latex paint. They have several grades:

Contractor grade (forget the name they use for it)
Better Grade
Top Grade
1. MoorGlo (semi gloss) (I have been using some of this for my sills)
2. Moor ? (low luster)
3. Moor ?? (flat)

The guy I talked to basically talked me into the top grade low luster,
which is almost $40/gallon. He said the flat isn't as good at keeping
out penetrating moisture and the semi gloss is faster to fade, leaving
the low luster. I gave them a sample to match and they are supposed to
call me this afternoon informing me it's ready to pick up.

This paint is probably overkill for my needs right now, but I spent so
much time constructing a wood custom gate that I figure I may as well
put some top quality paint on it. Very labor intensive job.

The semi gloss is a couple of dollars more. The flat is much less, about
$33/gallon. I'm less than confident the sales guy was knowledgable or
being honest with me, but I figured I would just accept his advice. He
wasn't playing the sales guy game as transparently as you'd want. He
didn't inspire confidence, I mean.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Consumer Reports just rated paint. Check it out at the library.

Interior Behr has a great rating though I found it drippy. I am not sure
they considered ease of application in their rating.

They don't usually rate professional-grade paints, just the paints marketed
to the DIY crowd, so ignore Consumer Reports when they test paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 1:12 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

I tend to agree as often mentioned that the quality levels of paint from the
different "name brand" paint producers is probably such that the care in the
application is probably more important. And that the differences between
brands is secondary. (live in New England)

But, one does like to have personal experiences and opinions to evaluate, of
course.

So, let me please ask.

For the top of the line in each (BTW: which would be called what for each
?):

Any opinions on California vs Benjamin Moore for Latex exterior house paint
?
Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

I have been using Sherwin Williams Duration for exteriors for the last
few years. It is really expensive, and doesn't cover as much per
gallon since it goes on thicker, but I couldn't be happier with it as
a product. Never heard of "California" paint. Is it the one product
not know to cause cancer in California? :-)

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote in
ps.com:

[...]

As long as you are not in California it won't hurt you :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

The professionals who painted my house for the builder used the cheapest
paint they could find. The professionals who I hired to do the exterior
normally used Sherwin Williams Duration but used Gliddon Endurance at my
request. There are no magic professional paint around unavailable to
consumers. Paint is one thing Consumer Reports tests well.

"TakenEvent" wrote in message

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Consumer Reports just rated paint. Check it out at the library.

Interior Behr has a great rating though I found it drippy. I am not sure
they considered ease of application in their rating.

They don't usually rate professional-grade paints, just the paints
marketed
to the DIY crowd, so ignore Consumer Reports when they test paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Just realized you asked about exterior. Some types of California are tops
according to Consumer Reports. That and Glidden Endurance which is what we
had the painters use and it looks great.

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I tend to agree as often mentioned that the quality levels of paint from
the different "name brand" paint producers is probably such that the care
in the application is probably more important. And that the differences
between brands is secondary. (live in New England)

But, one does like to have personal experiences and opinions to evaluate,
of course.

So, let me please ask.

For the top of the line in each (BTW: which would be called what for each
?):

Any opinions on California vs Benjamin Moore for Latex exterior house
paint ?
Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

using exterior paint to paint interior? [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 17th 06 06:25 AM
Can you mix primer/sealer and paint (exterior house paint)? TC Home Repair 11 March 9th 06 04:47 PM
Exterior paint question Pete UK diy 1 May 29th 05 01:08 AM
Best Exterior Paint? Rich Home Repair 11 July 20th 04 04:43 AM
can I apply exterior semi gloss directly over flat exterior paint? Bruce Millar Home Repair 7 April 14th 04 05:56 AM