Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Exterior Paint Question

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:12:11 -0400, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

:Hi,
:
:I tend to agree as often mentioned that the quality levels of paint from the
:different "name brand" paint producers is probably such that the care in the
:application is probably more important. And that the differences between
:brands is secondary. (live in New England)
:
:But, one does like to have personal experiences and opinions to evaluate, of
:course.
:
:So, let me please ask.
:
:For the top of the line in each (BTW: which would be called what for each
:?):
:
:Any opinions on California vs Benjamin Moore for Latex exterior house paint
:?
:Why ?
:
:Thanks,
:Bob

I went into my "local" Benjamin Moore store yesterday and inquired about
exterior latex paint. They have several grades:

Contractor grade (forget the name they use for it)
Better Grade
Top Grade
1. MoorGlo (semi gloss) (I have been using some of this for my sills)
2. Moor ? (low luster)
3. Moor ?? (flat)

The guy I talked to basically talked me into the top grade low luster,
which is almost $40/gallon. He said the flat isn't as good at keeping
out penetrating moisture and the semi gloss is faster to fade, leaving
the low luster. I gave them a sample to match and they are supposed to
call me this afternoon informing me it's ready to pick up.

This paint is probably overkill for my needs right now, but I spent so
much time constructing a wood custom gate that I figure I may as well
put some top quality paint on it. Very labor intensive job.

The semi gloss is a couple of dollars more. The flat is much less, about
$33/gallon. I'm less than confident the sales guy was knowledgable or
being honest with me, but I figured I would just accept his advice. He
wasn't playing the sales guy game as transparently as you'd want. He
didn't inspire confidence, I mean.

Dan