Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Inground Sprinkler Advice Needed

I want to replace my 40 year old sprinkler system.

After speaking to different sprinkler people, I'm wondering if I
should go with a copper or threaded PVC manifold.

I've heard the argument that copper is better because it won't crack
and leak like PVC can over time.

I've also heard the argument that threaded PVC is better because it's
cheaper to install initially and to repair because you just unscrew
the unions and replace the section that broke. With copper, sweating
is needed to replace the broken section of copper.

I plan to winterize every year, so having that in mind, is copper
really so much better? I got an estimate from someone who did good
work for a neighbor, who came in $650 less (for PVC schedule 80
threaded) than the cheapest quote I got for a copper manifold.

The more expensive copper estimate was also more because he proposed a
more elaborate system that I don't think I really need (more fixed
heads vs. fewer rotary heads).

Any thoughts or experience with this?
Also, it seems like glued PVC should ALWAYS be avoided. Is that true?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Why would you want to avoid glued PVC? It's worked fine for me for the
last 20 years. The only reason I can think of is sun exposure. Most of
the system is buried.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Glued PVC is just fine. It will make you a great system. I'm not sure why
you would avoid it. Copper is excellent, but hard to repair and damn
expensive. Have you bought any copper lately? Uh-huh. Go with PVC or even
Poly. My system is poly and the advantage to it (other than easy repairs)
is it installs easy with a trenchless machine. At any rate, Sch. 80. PVC
will make you a bulletproof system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Forget the copper. Just be sure to put a low point drain on it, or a way to
purge with air when you shut it down for the season.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 5:49 pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

will make you a bulletproof system.- Hide quoted text -

With glued PVC, how would you repair a section of manifold if you need
to?
With a threaded PVC manifold, you'd just unscrew the sections you need
and replace.

One proponent of copper made the argument against threaded PVC, that
you'd need to take
apart the entire manifold to get pieces out. But I guess that would
depend on how the
manifold is built - if it's build with extra sections between the
valves to give more room to
work with later. Right?

Also, they'd use poly for the actual lines.
My original question of copper vs. PVC only applies to the manifold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 18, 5:49 pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Like you said, it depends in how the manifold was built. Building the
manifold with some extra space might be a good idea. Another thing to
consider is may never need to take the manifold apart. Most valves can be
repaired in place, meaning you would never have to remove the body, just
replace the parts inside it. Honestly, I can't see any advantage in
building it from copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 9:07 am, wrote:
On Jul 18, 5:49 pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:

wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I've installed glued PVC & copper manifolds...............never had to
repair ANY manifolds

If you're worried about longevity use the sunlight resistant stuff OR
blow the budget & go with copper.

I have a SCH 40 white PVC manifold in service on the west facing side
of a SoCal home...no problems yet.

Am I happy that the contractor used non-sunlight resistant PVC? No,
but no problems (yet) after 27 years
How I botthered to replace it? No, its still working.

In the manifold section of the sprinkler system, the weak links are
the valves & valve actuators.

I would suggest saving money by going with PVC (glued) & spending
extra $'s to use Champion red brass valves (with unions on the output
side) & with full size (classic) brass electric actuators.

Plastic valve bodies & plastic actuators just aren't as good as the
red brass ones & can be a source of trouble.
Spend the bucks & effort where they'll do you the most good.

The red brass valve bodies will last 30 to 50 years, the actuators
maybe 10 to 15.
The unions will allow removal & replacement of the valve bodies (if
ever necessary).
Just make sure your manifold uprights are spaced such that individual
valves can be un-screwed with the adjacent valves still in place.

A well built manifold (copper or glued PVC) should serve for MANY
years.
Even my "not so great" contractor built manifold is still doing
fine......approaching 30 years.
(btw no unions on the output side, what a cheap *******!)

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to :
With glued PVC, how would you repair a section of manifold if you need
to?

You can't.

With a threaded PVC manifold, you'd just unscrew the sections you need
and replace.

Right.

You won't see a lot of issues with a PVC manifold, glued or threaded.
The issue is more about getting the valves off.

One proponent of copper made the argument against threaded PVC, that
you'd need to take
apart the entire manifold to get pieces out. But I guess that would
depend on how the
manifold is built - if it's build with extra sections between the
valves to give more room to
work with later. Right?

Right. As long as you can swing the valve, you can dismantle the
manifold without even having to pull the valves off. With copper
and plastic valves, you'd have to disassemble much of it so you
don't destroy the valves with the torch from conducted heat.

I think I built mine with 2" nipples between each T. White PVC
elbows and Ts', grey PVC nipples.

It's also more resistant to freezing than copper. Which
might be useful if not blown completely.
--
Chris Lewis,

How to blow out inground sprinkler lines [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 29th 06 05:48 PM
Installing sprinkler to an existing sprinkler system. MOEE Home Ownership 1 September 14th 06 09:53 PM
sprinkler system help needed Boatman Home Repair 5 June 3rd 06 06:35 PM
Advice needed ??? Peter Home Repair 14 June 28th 05 02:11 PM
AC Advice Needed! unix-freak Home Ownership 27 June 14th 04 03:53 PM