Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to blow out inground sprinkler lines

I Just had in ground sprinklers put in this spring, now that the
temperature has dropped I have to blow out the lines but I dont know
how, Does anyone know how to do this? The only thing i do know is that
i need a compressor which i do have (15gal 150 psi) Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do like I do, have the folks that installed the system come out and do it.
(mine charges $60) A lot cheaper than blowing out a line by over
pressurizing.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I Just had in ground sprinklers put in this spring, now that the
temperature has dropped I have to blow out the lines but I dont know
how, Does anyone know how to do this? The only thing i do know is that
i need a compressor which i do have (15gal 150 psi) Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I Just had in ground sprinklers put in this spring, now that the
temperature has dropped I have to blow out the lines but I dont know
how, Does anyone know how to do this? The only thing i do know is that
i need a compressor which i do have (15gal 150 psi) Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately your 15 gal compressor just isn't going to do it unless your
system is extremely small. You need a lot more volume than what that can
provide. The guys that I've seen do it use large, truck mounted
compressors with a very high volume. Did they install automatic drains on
the lines when they installed it?
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:

How about a shop vac?

Suck the water out for each valve "circuit" at the lowest sprinkler
head for that circuit.

A hundred feet of 3/4 PVC pipe holds about 3 gallons.

I use a shop vac all the time when I work on a sprinkler system (I use
it to suck out any dirt that might have gotten into the pipe when
changing a riser....saves having to clean or replace the sprinkler
spray.

you only have to get enough water out such that the pipe is nowhere
completely full.

Well, that is the trick. There are definitely going to be high and low
spots in the underground line, and the low spot would only have to be
an inch or more lower than the pipe on either side for the pipe to be
full at the low spot. Settling on getting out most of the water is
taking a risk. You might win, you might not. It's safer, easier and
cheaper to blow out the system than repair a burst pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I do mine every year with an old Sears compressor, maybe 10 gal
capacity, delivers 6.4CFM@40 I added a gate valve and male air fitting
on the water supply side.

I let it get up to about 70PSI, then turn on the zone. I go through
all the zones twice.

It's true that more capacity will do it faster and probably get a bit
more water out. However, I've been doing it 8 years and can't
attribute any problems to freezing. And I've saved $500.