Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Inground Sprinkler Advice Needed

wrote in message
ps.com...
I want to replace my 40 year old sprinkler system.

After speaking to different sprinkler people, I'm wondering if I
should go with a copper or threaded PVC manifold.

I've heard the argument that copper is better because it won't crack
and leak like PVC can over time.

I've also heard the argument that threaded PVC is better because it's
cheaper to install initially and to repair because you just unscrew
the unions and replace the section that broke. With copper, sweating
is needed to replace the broken section of copper.

I plan to winterize every year, so having that in mind, is copper
really so much better? I got an estimate from someone who did good
work for a neighbor, who came in $650 less (for PVC schedule 80
threaded) than the cheapest quote I got for a copper manifold.

The more expensive copper estimate was also more because he proposed a
more elaborate system that I don't think I really need (more fixed
heads vs. fewer rotary heads).

Any thoughts or experience with this?
Also, it seems like glued PVC should ALWAYS be avoided. Is that true?

Glued PVC is just fine. It will make you a great system. I'm not sure why
you would avoid it. Copper is excellent, but hard to repair and damn
expensive. Have you bought any copper lately? Uh-huh. Go with PVC or even
Poly. My system is poly and the advantage to it (other than easy repairs)
is it installs easy with a trenchless machine. At any rate, Sch. 80. PVC
will make you a bulletproof system.