Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC troubleshooting 220V

Hello,
Before I call the pros, I am going to do some basic troubleshooting on my
central AC. The fan and compressor are not coming on. I can hear a
low-voltage hum. I will start with a meter to make sure 220v is getting to
the contactor and also 220v is coming out of the contactor.
..
Since I don't have any experience with 220v, I would prefer to not belt
myself. Out of the wall is a pink and black wire to the contactor. Where
do I put the meter leads to test it? Any danger moving the leads from
terminal to terminal as long as I don't hold the leads by the metal end
(just kidding). Also, when the unit comes on, should I see the contactor
move, or click, or what?? I didn't see anything like that, so I am thinking
220v is not getting to the unit.
..
Thanks for your time.
-jack