Posted to alt.home.repair

Default governor broke on 11.5 HP Briggs riding mower

10 yr old Lowes MTD style rider. Great shape. The other day while
mowing the engine just started reving way beyond normal so I hit the
kill switch and cut the motor off. I don't believe any damage was
done. Throttle has no effect. Just starts in way high mode. Took to
shop and they say internal governor is broke and the engine must be
pulled apart, repaired and re-assembled. Big Job they say. $200
minimum labor. Does this sound right? Anyone have experience with
this? Thanks - Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
10 yr old Lowes MTD style rider. Great shape. The other day while
mowing the engine just started reving way beyond normal so I hit the
kill switch and cut the motor off. I don't believe any damage was
done. Throttle has no effect. Just starts in way high mode. Took to
shop and they say internal governor is broke and the engine must be
pulled apart, repaired and re-assembled. Big Job they say. $200
minimum labor. Does this sound right? Anyone have experience with
this? Thanks - Bill

Wow, that's pretty steep for that kind of engine. If there's another shop
in town, I'd try them for comparison. Then again, if they're the only
player in town and know it, what cha gonna do?

A 10 year old MTD almost certainly has a B&S engine; find out for sure and
call a few places and ask.

Pop`