Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Paneling Dated

Is paneling for a basement really that dated? I want to redo my basement,
which has old paneling on it. I prefer not to do drywall because it is is
thicker, and might require re-laying the carpet and tackless.

I know some paneling can look pretty tacky, but I'd get the real wood stuff,
and put a clear water poly finish on it so it doesn't yellow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julia Betancóurt de Velasquez" wrote in message
Is paneling for a basement really that dated? I want to redo my basement,
which has old paneling on it. I prefer not to do drywall because it is is
thicker, and might require re-laying the carpet and tackless.

I know some paneling can look pretty tacky, but I'd get the real wood
stuff, and put a clear water poly finish on it so it doesn't yellow.

Without seeing it it's hard *for me* to say. But after watching hours and
hours of flip/sell this house and flipping 3 houses I'd say yes. If you are
settling down in this house, go for it. If you're planning on selling I'd go
for a more contemporary look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Julia Betancóurt de Velasquez
says...

Is paneling for a basement really that dated? I want to redo my basement,
which has old paneling on it. I prefer not to do drywall because it is is
thicker, and might require re-laying the carpet and tackless.

I know some paneling can look pretty tacky, but I'd get the real wood stuff,
and put a clear water poly finish on it so it doesn't yellow.

Get it, enjoy it. And reassess the situation when/if you sell.

Right now, old panelling can be dressed up for wider appeal by priming and
painting. In the future, who knows, it might even be considered very in vogue
and you can leave it as is. Or you can prime and paint it then.

Houses are for the living, not the leaving. Don't worry so much about it as if
you're staging to sell it all the time.

Cheers,

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have done a lot of patching of drywall and think I know quite a bit about
all of the details on how to do things right the first time. I had never
done sheets before, and wasn't sure if I'd screw it right up. It was a
piece of cake. Worked perfectly. I now have both panelling and drywall in
my basement. The drywall rooms could be any room in the house, but he
panelling is reserved for specific places. A real wood room can be awesome,
but would you put paneling in your living room? Depends what its for.

"Julia Betancóurt de Velasquez" wrote in message
Is paneling for a basement really that dated? I want to redo my basement,
which has old paneling on it. I prefer not to do drywall because it is is
thicker, and might require re-laying the carpet and tackless.

I know some paneling can look pretty tacky, but I'd get the real wood
stuff, and put a clear water poly finish on it so it doesn't yellow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article pkgmi.169523$Sa4.94445@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net, says...

"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

says...
In article , krw says...

In article ,

says...
[...]

If houses are for living and not leaving, how come all the projects
don't get completed until we're leaving? ;-)/2

Too busy living! ;-)

I suppose so. Live and then pay the piper for six months, finishing
every thing up to sell. :-(

(It went on the market last week.) :-)

--
Keith

Good luck selling your house. I'm getting ready to flip the house I'm in
now. I started working on it as soon as we moved in.

Thanks. It's too much work and risk, particularly now. I was sick a
few months, otherwise I'd have been done in the spring as planned.
Gotta move. I retired last year and the taxes here are killing me.

I'm looking for another fixer upper now.

Good luck! I'm not fast enough to flip homes and make a profit.

--
Keith