Les Nessman

Default LF: Paneling Solution

1970's basement with nasty paneling.

Drywalling not an option.
Just painting over not an option.

Looking for a solution to get rid of the seam lines,
but a solution that will last (ie: no chipping).

Home Depot has recommended Anaglipta (sp?) paper
or prime the walls, fill with a flexible drywall compound,
sand compound, prime again and then paint.

These are the types of solutions I am looking for.

TIA!

Joe Bobst

Looking for a solution to get rid of the seam lines,
but a solution that will last (ie: no chipping).

First make sure the paneling is firmly anchored to the studs. A lot of paneling
was installed with minimal nailing and dabs of adhesive over drywall or furring
strips. If yours is a rigid type and well anchored, then consider fillling the
seams with a filler like Bondo. It's cheap, goes on fast, cures fast, sands
easily after shaping with a Surform file, and has terrific adhesion with a bit
of flexibility. I see tradesmen using some version of it in floor work these
days. HTH

Joe

Curmudgeon

Wallpaper works fine, as long as you clean the paneling first to remove
grease and dirt, and use a wallpaper liner as the "base" before applying the
actual wallpaper.
"Les Nessman" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
1970's basement with nasty paneling.

Drywalling not an option.
Just painting over not an option.

Looking for a solution to get rid of the seam lines,
but a solution that will last (ie: no chipping).

Home Depot has recommended Anaglipta (sp?) paper
or prime the walls, fill with a flexible drywall compound,
sand compound, prime again and then paint.

These are the types of solutions I am looking for.

TIA!

Steve Nekias

Home Depot has recommended Anaglipta (sp?) paper
or prime the walls, fill with a flexible drywall compound,
sand compound, prime again and then paint.

I tried the flexible drywall compound on my 1979's vintage
panelling.......it was awful. Tons of work, more than if I'd just
ripped off the panelling and put up new sheetrock. To make things
worse, the spackle in a couple of the grooves bubbled up about a month
after I'd completed the project.

I'd recommend ripping out the panelling (and sheetrock underneath, if
any) and drywalling.

Good luck.

Mr Fixit eh
Les Nessman

"Steve Nekias" wrote in message
om...
Home Depot has recommended Anaglipta (sp?) paper
or prime the walls, fill with a flexible drywall compound,
sand compound, prime again and then paint.

I tried the flexible drywall compound on my 1979's vintage
panelling.......it was awful. Tons of work, more than if I'd just
ripped off the panelling and put up new sheetrock. To make things
worse, the spackle in a couple of the grooves bubbled up about a month
after I'd completed the project.

I'd recommend ripping out the panelling (and sheetrock underneath, if
any) and drywalling.

Thanks for the confirmation of my fears...I'll stay away from the compound.
The chick on the phone at home depot didn't even sound convinced as she
was recommending it. I think we've decided to go with the anagliptic sp?
wall paper for now. Drywall isn't in the budget right now...I want a 3
season
room 1st. ) Thanks

Jeff Prevett

I filled in the cracks in my paneling with drywall compound because I have a
large basement and replacing with drywall was (is still) out of the
question. I then primed and painted the panelling. It looks great! Make's
a huge difference. I don't have any major cracks (and it's been 3 yrs)
however, I do have some small cracks where the panels meet; I guess I should
have used another (flexable) product such as a paintable caulking.

Jeff

.rogers.com...