Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting a house (stucco/wood) - advice needed

I'm planning to paint my house and would appreciate some advice on a
few issues, as I haven't been able to find specific answers online.

The existing paint is in good shape and is not peeling. It's just
faded. The siding is stucco and the trim is rough-sewn wood. There's
also a wood patio that
needs painting.

The current color of the stucco siding is beige and the new color will
be similar in shade. The trim and patio, however, will go from dark to
light - it's currently dark brown and will be painting it off-white.

My questions a

How best to clean the stucco siding? - pressure wash or hose? I've
read differing opinions - that pressure washing is bad for stucco (too
strong). Others say it's a good idea because it removes loose stucco
that may need repair.

If I do pressure wash, What pressure is best? 500 psi? 1500? 2500? I
realize it depends on the nozzle adjustment, distance, etc. but I need
to decide if I should rent a pro unit or buy a lower pressure home
unit.

How to prep wood trim? Pressure wash? At what psi? With or without tsp/
detergent? (I don't see any mildew). How much to sand? Belt sander?
orbital? by hand? Trim is rough sewn wood. Should I sand it smooth?
Otherwise, sanding will not abrade paint due to rough surface/
crevices. Should I use a wire brush to roughen it up instead? Are
there any other tools I should use to save time/effort during prep?

Should I wash after sanding or before? Or before and after?

How long to wait after washing before painting the wood - I've read as
long as 7 days and as little as 2. Dry time after washing for stucco?

Best primer to use on wood- Zinsser or Kilz? Something else?

Should I spray or roller the stucco? Or spray, then back roll? What
about wood trim? I'll most likely be using Sherwin Williams Duration.
How many coats should I use on the stucco? On the wood?

Thanks a lot!