Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Painting a house (stucco/wood) - advice needed

On Jul 12, 10:11 am, wrote:
I'm planning to paint my house and would appreciate some advice on a
few issues, as I haven't been able to find specific answers online.

Lucky for you that you didn't.

The existing paint is in good shape and is not peeling. It's just
faded. The siding is stucco and the trim is rough-sewn wood. There's
also a wood patio that needs painting.

The current color of the stucco siding is beige and the new color will
be similar in shade. The trim and patio, however, will go from dark to
light - it's currently dark brown and will be painting it off-white.

My questions a

How best to clean the stucco siding?

Don't bother. Just use a broom or some such to knock off loose
debris.

I'll most likely be using Sherwin Williams Duration.
How many coats should I use on the stucco? On the wood?

Buy your stuff at a S-W paint store and ask the staff for tips, advice
on all your questions. They will probably recommend renting an airless
spray and taping etc. Keep in mind that the stucco and rough sawn wood
is part of what gives the place its character. You don't want to ruin
that by making it all smooth and glossy; that would look cheap. Be
sure your color scheme doesn't make your house look like the oddball
in the neighborhood. Designers and architects (think Frank Lloyd
Wright) always make the domicile look like it fits in the environment.
That adds value to the property if it ever comes up for sale. Plan
well, don't overdo it, and the job will be faster and easier. Good
luck.

Joe