Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default balancing a ceiling fan

MG wrote:

I have a ceiling fan goes Groan Groan Groan. As soon as turn the power off
the noise quits which is telling me that the problem has a strong electrical
components rather than simply a mechanical problem.

Any idea on what to look for when I take it down and open it up.

Thanks

Mauro

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
I don't know why, but there have been a rash of ceiling fans introduced into
my universe, and every one is way out of balance.

What is the way to balance them?

Is there a variable strobe that one can get, mark the blades, and find out
which one is the one that makes the biggest circle?

I've sat here till I'm dizzy pondering the bests approach to this.

Steve

BTW, it gets really exciting when the tape gives out and the nickels and
pennies you used for balancing weights go flying. Especially if the fan
is on HI (of course it is on HI)

Best regards, ;-)
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
MG MG is offline

"M Q" wrote in message
MG wrote:
I have a ceiling fan goes Groan Groan Groan. As soon as turn the power
off
the noise quits which is telling me that the problem has a strong
electrical
components rather than simply a mechanical problem.

Any idea on what to look for when I take it down and open it up.

Thanks

Mauro

I had one like that. I thought that the motor was a goner.
It turns out the the hub was a little loose on the shaft and had slipped
down a little to where it was scrapping on something.
I raised the hub slightly and tightened it and removed a handful of
metal scrapings. It now runs great.

Good explanation. Under AC power the rotor may be sucked up enough to make
something run, cut the AC, rotor falls down a bit and disengage the rubbing.
If this is the case a shim washer should do it.

Mauro

balancing radiators geoffr UK diy 4 October 28th 06 02:24 AM
Ceiling Fan Balancing cedavis Home Repair 2 August 4th 06 05:54 AM
Balancing a ceiling fan Chris UK diy 4 June 24th 06 07:49 AM
A/c balancing Mark Savoy Home Repair 2 May 30th 06 05:26 PM
Balancing nigelb UK diy 2 November 21st 05 10:34 PM