Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
pc pc is offline

Default Broan 684 bathroom fan - Galvanized? NOT!

I just ordered a replacement 97006987G motor bracket, fan and assembly
for my 23 year old Broan model 684 bathroom fan. The old one was
painted steel, and turned to a bucket of rust.

The specification sheet at the Broan web site states that the new 684
"housing" is galvanized (I missed that qualifier... I thought it was
all galvanized.) Not only is the fan bracket not galvanized, but it's
raw freakin' steal with not even a coat of paint. What garbage.
Don't buy one of these.

I need to give the bracket a good coat of primer and paint that will
resist rust. A really good primer. Would 'yall please make some
recommendations about the brand and type of paint and primer I should
use?

I'm looking for something better than Rust-Oleum, and I don't mind
going to an industrial supply house or the internet to get it.

Thanks.

Mac

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=523

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article . com,
pc wrote:

[...]

Hidden down an alley off a back street in an industrial part of your
town you wouldn't want to be in after dark, there's a guy in an old tin
shed who does industrial metal finishing. He's got a picture of Ronald
Reagan on the wall of his office - an office that hasn't been cleaned in
at least twenty years. Take him a quart of Jack Daniels black label and
ask him to throw your stuff in with his next batch of "powder coating"
in any color similar to the one you really want.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Joe Joe is offline

pc wrote:

snip

I'm looking for something better than Rust-Oleum, and I don't mind
going to an industrial supply house or the internet to get it..

You won't find anything better in a consumer paint product. True, the
dry time is somewhat long, but that's the tradeoff for the proprietary
resins that do the work.
There are so called zinc-rich finishes that approach galvanizing for
corrosion resistance with names like 'Co-Galv' or something like that.
Probably available from Grainger or other industrial supply, and
fairly pricey.
Powder coatings are a mixed bag, because the baked on resin is not
necessarily a rust inhibiting vehicle. Once the coating is breached,
the rust spreads rapidly. For examples, check the pickup truck bumpers
in the WalMart lot. You'll find some ratty looking powder coated
examples there. The thickness of the peeling coating is the sure sign
that it was a powder finish.
If you don't know anybody running a hot dip galvanizing facilty, then
you other choice is a plating shop. Doesn't take much to hang it on a
hook and run it through with other parts while you wait, and the $ may
be less than you think.
Pick your best option and go for it. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Jul 11, 12:25 pm, pc wrote:
I just ordered a replacement 97006987G motor bracket, fan and assembly
for my 23 year old Broan model 684 bathroom fan. The old one was
painted steel, and turned to a bucket of rust.

The specification sheet at the Broan web site states that the new 684
"housing" is galvanized (I missed that qualifier... I thought it was
all galvanized.) Not only is the fan bracket not galvanized, but it's
raw freakin' steal with not even a coat of paint. What garbage.
Don't buy one of these.

I need to give the bracket a good coat of primer and paint that will
resist rust. A really good primer. Would 'yall please make some
recommendations about the brand and type of paint and primer I should
use?

I'm looking for something better than Rust-Oleum, and I don't mind
going to an industrial supply house or the internet to get it.

Hammerite. Comes in spray cans, designed to go on bare metal so no
primer required. Masterchem is the manufacturer which I think also
produces Kilz. An Ace or TrueValue hardware store should have, as do
some big box stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:25:20 -0000, someone wrote:

I just ordered a replacement 97006987G motor bracket, fan and assembly
for my 23 year old Broan model 684 bathroom fan. The old one was
painted steel, and turned to a bucket of rust.

Can't suck that much if it lasted 23 years.

How many more years are you going to live there?

How long will it take to rust out again? Will any other parts break
before that? I replaced the guts of one of my bathroom fans after 5
years, I'd say your bucket of rust did pretty well for 23.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

On Jul 11, 4:24 pm, (v) wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:25:20 -0000, someone wrote:
I just ordered a replacement 97006987G motor bracket, fan and assembly
for my 23 year old Broan model 684 bathroom fan. The old one was
painted steel, and turned to a bucket of rust.

Can't suck that much if it lasted 23 years.

How many more years are you going to live there?

How long will it take to rust out again? Will any other parts break
before that? I replaced the guts of one of my bathroom fans after 5
years, I'd say your bucket of rust did pretty well for 23.

I can't get one of those stupid sleeve bearing motors to last more
than a couple of years.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
pc pc is offline

On Jul 11, 9:25 am, pc wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for your replies.

@@@@@@@@@@@@

I went to a local industrial hardware store and inquired about
galvanizing primers. They were about to close and pointed me to a
locked rack in the back, and tossed me they key. I found about four
different products that would have probably done the job. The one
that rang the gong was "SPRAY ON S00740 ZINC-RICH COLD GALVANIZING
COMPOUND, MEETS MILL-P-26915C"; it was the only one that claimed to be
a primer, and the only one noting a MIL rating.

It is essentially an epoxy based spray with 97% of the pigment as
powdered zinc (I expected zinc chromate, but it must be an industrial
health no-no.) They claim it to be as good as hot galvanized. Time
will tell; considering that the cheap assed latex spray on the
original bracket lasted 20+ years (and was more or less still holding
its own, rust aside), this should live longer than I might live with a
coat of Rust-Oleum or two on top.

On that note, considering that Broan is now selling new exhaust fan
packages with a galvanized housing and a black steel core, it seems to
me that Broan is, in reality, in the business of selling replacement
cores, which cost about double what the whole damn package does at
Home Depot and Lowe's.

With regards to the comments on sleeve bearing motors, I have one in
my downstairs can that is approximately 43 years old. When the rotor
stuck the first time, about 3 years ago (!), I took the mother apart,
drilled a 1/8" hole in the sealed back side of the motor housing, put
some Kroil in the hole and down the shaft at the front bearing (open)
to loosen it up. I let it run for several hours with a desk fan
blowing on it so it wouldn't overheat, since the normal fan wasn't
there to cool the motor. I then dosed it with 5W-30 motor oil and let
it run another few hours. I found some aircraft grade stainless
washers from my days at Hughes Aircraft and reinvented the thrust
bearings. It's still running like a top. You must be careful not to
drill into the shaft, but I've actually done that several times over
the years due, usually, to an excess intake of C2H5OH, and it din't
seem to hurt 'em none. They are all still on the job.

I have a half dozen window fans in my house that I have given the same
treatment. Some of them were made in the 50's; I bought one unit from
the guy who sold me my first house 28 years ago. These so-called
"permanently lubricated bearings" obviously are not, but it doesn't
take a rocket scientist to give them a new lease on life.

Ho hum. We each have our own realities; thanks again to all of you.

mac