Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC Load Calculator

Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load calculator. I
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition. All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Dieterle wrote:
Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load calculator. I
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition. All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

Excel?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:54:06 -0500, "Jeff Dieterle"
wrote:

Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load calculator. I
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition. All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

That's 600 square feet and NOT a standard home. I suggest you do 2
tons (24,000 btu).

But if you like it to get cold fast, then 3 or 4 tons.

If you just want to remove the humidity and cool it to 80 on a 95
degree day, then 1 1/2 ton (18,000 btu) will work just fine.

In other words, forget the calc. Completely useless. The important
question is to ask the owner what he wants to accomplish with his AC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load calculator. I
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition.

All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

That's 600 square feet and NOT a standard home. I suggest you do 2
tons (24,000 btu).

But if you like it to get cold fast, then 3 or 4 tons.

If you just want to remove the humidity and cool it to 80 on a 95
degree day, then 1 1/2 ton (18,000 btu) will work just fine.

So you like to guess....

You don't even know if this building is insulated!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load calculator. I
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition. All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

That's 600 square feet and NOT a standard home. I suggest you do 2
tons (24,000 btu).

But if you like it to get cold fast, then 3 or 4 tons.

If you just want to remove the humidity and cool it to 80 on a 95
degree day, then 1 1/2 ton (18,000 btu) will work just fine.

In other words, forget the calc. Completely useless. The important
question is to ask the owner what he wants to accomplish with his AC.

A ) He IS the owner

B ) Seeing as you're totally out to ****ing lunch, you shoudl
STFU.

Depending on all the usual factors of insulation, solar load,
infitlration, etc, his possible range would be from ~ 6,000 up to
maybe 24,000. With 3 or 4 tons, he can hang meat in there. Or long
lost relatives.

And he's be better off with a through the wall unit, for that
kind of size and application.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Dieterle wrote:

Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load calculator. I
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition. All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

There used to be a more complete free load calculator but I couldn't
find it. Here's what I found as far as free software goes:

http://www.mrhvac.com/loadcalcshortform.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load calculator. I
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition. All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

That's 600 square feet and NOT a standard home. I suggest you do 2
tons (24,000 btu).

But if you like it to get cold fast, then 3 or 4 tons.

If you just want to remove the humidity and cool it to 80 on a 95
degree day, then 1 1/2 ton (18,000 btu) will work just fine.

In other words, forget the calc. Completely useless. The important
question is to ask the owner what he wants to accomplish with his AC.

It sounds like we found the new Miss Cleo.

You don't know where the building is located, what exposure it has, what
materials it is made from and the amount of insulation it has and you
can develop such an amazing answer...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

ups.com...

wrote:
Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load calculator.
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition.
All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

That's 600 square feet and NOT a standard home. I suggest you do 2
tons (24,000 btu).

But if you like it to get cold fast, then 3 or 4 tons.

If you just want to remove the humidity and cool it to 80 on a 95
degree day, then 1 1/2 ton (18,000 btu) will work just fine.

In other words, forget the calc. Completely useless. The important
question is to ask the owner what he wants to accomplish with his AC.

Whos ass did he pull those numbers out of??

Better check with the local inspectors and permits department. Most likely
they will require a Manual J heat load and loss calculation in addition to
the plans for the structure modifications.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

ups.com...

wrote:
Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load calculator.
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition.
All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

That's 600 square feet and NOT a standard home. I suggest you do 2
tons (24,000 btu).

But if you like it to get cold fast, then 3 or 4 tons.

If you just want to remove the humidity and cool it to 80 on a 95
degree day, then 1 1/2 ton (18,000 btu) will work just fine.

In other words, forget the calc. Completely useless. The important
question is to ask the owner what he wants to accomplish with his AC.

Whos ass did he pull those numbers out of??

You may not like it but is very reasonable answer!
Tony

Better check with the local inspectors and permits department. Most likely
they will require a Manual J heat load and loss calculation in addition to
the plans for the structure modifications.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Tony" wrote in message

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

ups.com...

wrote:
Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load
calculator. I
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition.
All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

That's 600 square feet and NOT a standard home. I suggest you do 2
tons (24,000 btu).

But if you like it to get cold fast, then 3 or 4 tons.

If you just want to remove the humidity and cool it to 80 on a 95
degree day, then 1 1/2 ton (18,000 btu) will work just fine.

In other words, forget the calc. Completely useless. The important
question is to ask the owner what he wants to accomplish with his AC.

Whos ass did he pull those numbers out of??

You may not like it but is very reasonable answer!
Tony

I was thinking the same

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:31:25 GMT, "longshot" wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message
> [...]

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

ups.com...

Then you're as much of a clueless **** as he is.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jul 11, 4:31 pm, "longshot" wrote:
"Jeff Dieterle" wrote:

Does anybody have a link to a manual heating & cooling load
calculator. I
want to size a mini-split system for a 20x30 detached garage addition.
All
I've found on the web are offers to purchase load calculation s/w.

That's 600 square feet and NOT a standard home. I suggest you do 2
tons (24,000 btu).

But if you like it to get cold fast, then 3 or 4 tons.

If you just want to remove the humidity and cool it to 80 on a 95
degree day, then 1 1/2 ton (18,000 btu) will work just fine.

In other words, forget the calc. Completely useless. The important
question is to ask the owner what he wants to accomplish with his AC.

Whos ass did he pull those numbers out of??

You may not like it but is very reasonable answer!

I was thinking the same

Well, if you're making the same assumptions, sure, it would seem
reasonable.
Let me ask you a few question to see what assumptions you've made.
Where is the garage located?
What is it's exposure?
What is the construction?
What are the design temperatures?
What takes place in this garage? Are there additional heat or
humidity loads?
Is there a 2nd floor?

Comments such as, "In other words, forget the calc. Completely
useless. The important question is to ask the owner what he wants to
accomplish with his AC." are worse than useless, they're misleading.

Starting with a wild-assed guess based on all sorts of assumptions
isn't designing a system.
Oversizing a system is bad, undersizing a system is bad, and you're
pretty much guaranteed to have one or the other with WAG designs.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:35:40 -0500, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Here in my neighborhood, if we see a inspector on our property
talking about permits, we kill him. It is not against the law here.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"ValveJob" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:35:40 -0500, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

roups.com...

wrote:
[...]

When I see a city inspector, I shake his hand and thank him for holding the
hacks feet to the fire and helping to raise the quality bar. I then ask him
if he is up to par on the new batch of hacks thats coming out of the
woodwork. Does he know about XXX job??

No I don't just drop dimes, I drop dollar bills. If I have to play by the
rules, then its only fair that everybody else should be doing the right
things right too. That includes pulling permits and having inspections done.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Sorry Ricod;

If you want to play with the big boys, you're going to have to pony up for
the software [like I did / do.]

If you want some 'free' answers to load questions, then take some classes.

Otherwise, hire a professional, and have him/her install your system. FWIW:
on 600 square feet, if its just one large room, you might consider ductless
units to heat & cool your space. Even if it is separated in to two spaces
with a partition, you can have two indoor sections with one outdoor section.
--
Zyp

ups.com...
"Jeff Dieterle" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jul 11, 11:06 pm, "Zephyr" wrote:
Sorry Ricod;

If you want to play with the big boys, you're going to have to pony up for
the software [like I did / do.]

If you want some 'free' answers to load questions, then take some classes.

What a nifong. Learn to read - I'm not the OP.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Sorry, Ricod - I mis-spoke, I thought you posted the start of this thread,
when I guess you answered the O.P. from where I don't know [only because it
[the original O.P. ]wasn't listed on my crappy newsreader.]

--
Zyp

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 11, 11:06 pm, "Zephyr" wrote:
Sorry Ricod;

If you want to play with the big boys, you're going to have to pony up

for
the software [like I did / do.]

If you want some 'free' answers to load questions, then take some

classes.

What a nifong. Learn to read - I'm not the OP.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:20:20 -0700, "Zephyr" wrote:

Sorry, Ricod - I mis-spoke, I thought you posted the start of this thread,
when I guess you answered the O.P. from where I don't know [only because it
[the original O.P. ]wasn't listed on my crappy newsreader.]

The cropping WAS bad, it fooled me too.

--
Zyp

oups.com...