Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which central split pack unit should I buy?

My friend is in dire need of help. Hopefully someone can help her
with this costly decision. Here's the info:

She lives in a ranch type house with full basement of approximately
1500 sq. feet. Her central air unit has died and she is going to buy
a new one, however she has talked with so many air conditioner
installers she is now confused.

Some have recommend an Ammana, 18 seer unit, with 2 compressors, 3 ton
unit. Another has suggested a Trane 18 seer unit, 2 1/2 to 3 tons.
Still another has suggested a Trane 13 seer unit, 2 1/2 tons. What is
in the house now is a 2 1/2 ton unit, Comfort Maker and she has no
idea how many seers it is as it is 18 years old.

Most have suggested the new refrigerant R-410A and all the units they
have recommended has this except the 13 seer unit.

Does anyone have anything to add to what she needs, any
recommendations, pros, or cons??? She would really like some help in
this uncharted field.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 2:46 pm, M Q wrote:

Anyone that recommends an AC based upon the minimal information that
you have given us should be ignored. The AC size depends upon
many factors such as climate exposure, windows, insualtion, etc.
Find a contractor that will do a manual J load calculation.
Also, there is no Trane 18 SEER R-410A AC in the capacity range
that you mentioned (only R-22). That may also be true of Amana, but

Well, I'm sorry! We did not what kind of information was needed. She
has new triple paned windows. We know for a fact there is an R-410A
for an Amana, go to their website. As far as climate exposure we are
in Middle Tennessee, right outside Nashville to be exact. Very good
insulation in the house, too. Now can you give us a civil explanation
without biting our heads off???

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 10, 2:46 pm, M Q wrote:

Anyone that recommends an AC based upon the minimal information that
you have given us should be ignored. The AC size depends upon
many factors such as climate exposure, windows, insualtion, etc.
Find a contractor that will do a manual J load calculation.
Also, there is no Trane 18 SEER R-410A AC in the capacity range
that you mentioned (only R-22). That may also be true of Amana, but

Well, I'm sorry! We did not what kind of information was needed. She
has new triple paned windows. We know for a fact there is an R-410A
for an Amana, go to their website. As far as climate exposure we are
in Middle Tennessee, right outside Nashville to be exact. Very good
insulation in the house, too. Now can you give us a civil explanation
without biting our heads off???

they did. the pertinent lines are

The AC size depends upon
many factors such as climate exposure, windows, insualtion, etc.
Find a contractor that will do a manual J load calculation.

we can't see the house, nor calculate this, over the internet. you need
someone locally to do this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 3:37 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

There are some knowledgeable AC people here, but several recent AC
threads have erupted into minor flame wars of sorts, so people could be
a tad edgy about the topic. Put on your asbestos suit and be patient and
I'm sure some useful sound will make its way through the noise.

Thank you, that's all I wanted was a civil answer. We shall wait with
patience.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

I bought a AC system and gas Furnace a few years ago. Being new to the
town my choice was based on CU ratings and experience of friends that live a
couple hundred miles away. The only local dealer for this brand had been in
business for over 100 years in plumbing and heating and was a fixture in the
community. Three years later I finally found a service tech for a new dealer
who finally get the thing working. I remember buying two computerized
controllers myself in addition to the three or four that the first dealer
went through. Lesson: buy by dealer, and only after many good
recommendations.

wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 10, 2:46 pm, M Q wrote:

Anyone that recommends an AC based upon the minimal information that
you have given us should be ignored. The AC size depends upon
many factors such as climate exposure, windows, insualtion, etc.
Find a contractor that will do a manual J load calculation.
Also, there is no Trane 18 SEER R-410A AC in the capacity range
that you mentioned (only R-22). That may also be true of Amana, but

Well, I'm sorry! We did not what kind of information was needed. She
has new triple paned windows. We know for a fact there is an R-410A
for an Amana, go to their website. As far as climate exposure we are
in Middle Tennessee, right outside Nashville to be exact. Very good
insulation in the house, too. Now can you give us a civil explanation
without biting our heads off???

He already has...

Find the best installer you can find that will size the equipment by
performing a manual J. Than make sure the ducting is adequate by performing
a manual D. Make sure they don't do any shortcuts, because you want it done
cheap.

Equipment brand is meaningless without a qualified tech to install and set
it up properly.