Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

Default Which central split pack unit should I buy?

I bought a AC system and gas Furnace a few years ago. Being new to the
town my choice was based on CU ratings and experience of friends that live a
couple hundred miles away. The only local dealer for this brand had been in
business for over 100 years in plumbing and heating and was a fixture in the
community. Three years later I finally found a service tech for a new dealer
who finally get the thing working. I remember buying two computerized
controllers myself in addition to the three or four that the first dealer
went through. Lesson: buy by dealer, and only after many good
recommendations.

wrote in message
s.com...
My friend is in dire need of help. Hopefully someone can help her
with this costly decision. Here's the info:

She lives in a ranch type house with full basement of approximately
1500 sq. feet. Her central air unit has died and she is going to buy
a new one, however she has talked with so many air conditioner
installers she is now confused.

Some have recommend an Ammana, 18 seer unit, with 2 compressors, 3 ton
unit. Another has suggested a Trane 18 seer unit, 2 1/2 to 3 tons.
Still another has suggested a Trane 13 seer unit, 2 1/2 tons. What is
in the house now is a 2 1/2 ton unit, Comfort Maker and she has no
idea how many seers it is as it is 18 years old.

Most have suggested the new refrigerant R-410A and all the units they
have recommended has this except the 13 seer unit.

Does anyone have anything to add to what she needs, any
recommendations, pros, or cons??? She would really like some help in
this uncharted field.