Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expansive foam

Is there any guideline on how much of the expansive foam to use? I have a
chimney and where it meets the concrete roof tiles the gap is too large for
caulk or sealant. As a matter of fact I can fit two fingers along one edge
and there is a small crevice under the tiles as well where they meet. Even
though I am pretty sure there is flashing underneath I will still feel
better if I can fill the crevice along the perimeter.

I thought I would use those foam that expands, however last time I used it I
did a poor job of it and underestimated how much to use and it ended up
expanding and cracking the surface I put on top of it. I wonder what is the
best way to gauge how much to apply.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 2:29 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
Is there any guideline on how much of the expansive foam to use? I have a
chimney and where it meets the concrete roof tiles the gap is too large for
caulk or sealant. As a matter of fact I can fit two fingers along one edge
and there is a small crevice under the tiles as well where they meet. Even
though I am pretty sure there is flashing underneath I will still feel
better if I can fill the crevice along the perimeter.

I thought I would use those foam that expands, however last time I used it I
did a poor job of it and underestimated how much to use and it ended up
expanding and cracking the surface I put on top of it. I wonder what is the
best way to gauge how much to apply.

Thanks,

MC

You could try and use some backer rod. This is a foam which is tube
shaped and available on a roll. You stuff this into your gap first.
Then fill up the remaining bit with caulk.

You can get this stuff at Home depot.

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=19689

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 4:48 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 02:29:27 -0400, MiamiCuse wrote:
Is there any guideline on how much of the expansive foam to use? I have a
chimney and where it meets the concrete roof tiles the gap is too large for
caulk or sealant. As a matter of fact I can fit two fingers along one edge
and there is a small crevice under the tiles as well where they meet. Even
though I am pretty sure there is flashing underneath I will still feel
better if I can fill the crevice along the perimeter.

I thought I would use those foam that expands, however last time I used it I
did a poor job of it and underestimated how much to use and it ended up
expanding and cracking the surface I put on top of it. I wonder what is the
best way to gauge how much to apply.

Thanks,

MC

Buy the window and door foam (blue cap) it expands about half of what the
normal Stuff does.- Hide quoted text -

Do it right and foam isnt it. Its a job for a carpenter who can also
flash it properly

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

Is there any guideline on how much of the expansive foam to use? I
have a chimney and where it meets the concrete roof tiles the gap is
too large for caulk or sealant. As a matter of fact I can fit two
fingers along one edge and there is a small crevice under the tiles as
well where they meet. Even though I am pretty sure there is flashing
underneath I will still feel better if I can fill the crevice along
the perimeter.

I thought I would use those foam that expands, however last time I
used it I did a poor job of it and underestimated how much to use and
it ended up expanding and cracking the surface I put on top of it. I
wonder what is the best way to gauge how much to apply.

Thanks,

MC

As Ransley said, flashing is the right way to do it. Here's an article on
the way it should be done.

http://www.rd.com/content/printConte...ontentId=17758

I've yet to fix a leaking chimney that was done this way but maybe that's
why they leaked, ya think? Ones I've done this way never leaked. Yep it
requires time, work & tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 02:29:27 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

Even though I am pretty sure there is flashing underneath I will still feel
better if I can fill the crevice along the perimeter.

Foam is not needed, imo. You are doing something cosmetic - I guess.
The UV rays will eventually damage the foam...will it last.

Flashing underneath, sounds like my Spanish type tile. Barely nailed
on :-))

Fix the flashing if need be, but my guess is the roofer never used
foam... any area house...

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks. I did not explain clearly but this has nothing to do with the
flashing. The flashing is installed between the chimney and plywood roof,
then a layer of membrane on top, then the cement and concrete tiles.

There is no leakage in the roof either. The tiles were cut around the
perimeter of the chimney, and the gap is like a almost two inches wide.
Tree leaves fall in there and some moisture will go under the tiles (but
above the flashing) and come out in the weep holes at the end. I just want
to seal off this gap as well to prevent the leaves and water from getting
under, but there is no leak through the chimeny roof joint which the
flashing is protecting very well.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That foam will actually absorb moisture and will certainly break down over
time. It is not an effective barrier for water, not to mention it will
degrade from exposure. Find another option. The foam is easy to apply, but
it isn't going to offer any protection from moisture, in fact, it may even
collect moisture.

Expanding Foam The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 September 19th 06 12:30 AM
climaflex & pu foam VisionSet UK diy 1 September 14th 06 10:58 PM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM
Foam - where to buy? mo UK diy 8 September 30th 05 10:31 AM
Do it yourself foam? Pat Keith Home Repair 4 September 2nd 03 11:43 AM