Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is this stuff above sole plate?

I need to run some new wiring up from the basement into the wall. Is this
concrete that the wiring is currently run through? It's not very dense but
very hard. Instead of drilling another hole I was thinking I could cut the
armored cable from the top and then just rip it out from the bottom. Could I
then just run the romex through that hole.

Picture
http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=IMG_1756.jpg

Thanks
Dante

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Dante wrote:
I need to run some new wiring up from the basement into the wall. Is this
concrete that the wiring is currently run through? It's not very dense but
very hard. Instead of drilling another hole I was thinking I could cut the
armored cable from the top and then just rip it out from the bottom. Could I
then just run the romex through that hole.

Looks like concrete, but don't understand the "not dense" part...

If you don't need the existing cable, if it will come out, sure.

If you used a proper abrasion collar at the ends you could probably use
the existing armored as a sleeve/conduit for the new for such a short
distance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It appears that you have an older house with balloon framing. That masonry
is a fire stop. You can chisel out a bit of the masonry and fish a cable
right up the wall. The only reason you might consider removing that cable,
is if it's going to the same box you want to run a new cable into. That
cable will probably be stapled inside the wall, so it may not come out
easily or intact.

"Dante" wrote in message
I need to run some new wiring up from the basement into the wall. Is this
concrete that the wiring is currently run through? It's not very dense but
very hard. Instead of drilling another hole I was thinking I could cut the
armored cable from the top and then just rip it out from the bottom. Could
I then just run the romex through that hole.

Picture
http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=IMG_1756.jpg

Thanks
Dante

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
It appears that you have an older house with balloon framing. That masonry
is a fire stop. You can chisel out a bit of the masonry and fish a cable
right up the wall. The only reason you might consider removing that cable,
is if it's going to the same box you want to run a new cable into. That
cable will probably be stapled inside the wall, so it may not come out
easily or intact.

I agree with RBM. That concrete is probably a firestop and does not go all
the way up the wall. If you can get a fish tape along side the existing
cable you may be able to determine how high you can go. If it is balloon
framing you could probably snake up to the attic. Patch that hole up when
you are finished running your wires.

"Dante" wrote in message
I need to run some new wiring up from the basement into the wall. Is this
concrete that the wiring is currently run through? It's not very dense

but
very hard. Instead of drilling another hole I was thinking I could cut

the
armored cable from the top and then just rip it out from the bottom.

Could
I then just run the romex through that hole.

Picture

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=IMG_1756.jpg

Thanks
Dante

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 09:39:21 -0400, "Dante" wrote:

I need to run some new wiring up from the basement into the wall. Is this
concrete that the wiring is currently run through? It's not very dense but
very hard. Instead of drilling another hole I was thinking I could cut the
armored cable from the top and then just rip it out from the bottom. Could I
then just run the romex through that hole.

Picture
http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=IMG_1756.jpg

Thanks
Dante

Some people seem to think that all older wiring is bad. There is
likely nothing wrong with that armored cable (AC). If you need more
outlets, run another cable and add more outlets. But why are you
trying to rip out the old AC? It's stapled inside the wall, so
without ripping walls apart you wont get it out. If it's a #14 and
you need some 20A outlets, just leave the 15A outlet and install more
outlets nearby with #12 wire. More is better (meaning more outlets),
but more work is NOT better, and you'll have more work trying to rip
out that AC. If you dont want to use that AC at all. just disconnect
it and leave it be (or cut off the exposed end in the basement). Then
run new wiring thru new holes. Yeah, you will likely have to chisel
away some cement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some people seem to think that all older wiring is bad. There is
likely nothing wrong with that armored cable (AC).

Most of the AC in the house is in very good condition and I was able to get
a ground through the armor on almost all outlets. But for some reason the
armor is not grounded at this outlet and the two that come after it. The
section is grounded that you see in the picture so the ground is lost in the
wall. Maybe the cable is damaged. The outlet is only a few inches above that
so I just feel safer knowing that I'll have a good low resistance ground
with new romex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dante" wrote in message
Some people seem to think that all older wiring is bad. There is
likely nothing wrong with that armored cable (AC).

Most of the AC in the house is in very good condition and I was able to

get
a ground through the armor on almost all outlets. But for some reason the
armor is not grounded at this outlet and the two that come after it. The
section is grounded that you see in the picture so the ground is lost in

the
wall. Maybe the cable is damaged. The outlet is only a few inches above

that
so I just feel safer knowing that I'll have a good low resistance ground
with new romex.

Maybe the cable slipped out of the box clamp or connector. Have you looked
inside of the outlet box to see if there is armor showing? If not, you be
able to loosen the clamp and pull the cable and armor into the box.