Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default What is this stuff above sole plate?

It appears that you have an older house with balloon framing. That masonry
is a fire stop. You can chisel out a bit of the masonry and fish a cable
right up the wall. The only reason you might consider removing that cable,
is if it's going to the same box you want to run a new cable into. That
cable will probably be stapled inside the wall, so it may not come out
easily or intact.

"Dante" wrote in message
I need to run some new wiring up from the basement into the wall. Is this
concrete that the wiring is currently run through? It's not very dense but
very hard. Instead of drilling another hole I was thinking I could cut the
armored cable from the top and then just rip it out from the bottom. Could
I then just run the romex through that hole.

Picture
http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=IMG_1756.jpg

Thanks
Dante