Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drier Won't Dry

I have a GE Washer/Drier stackable set. The element is putting out
heat, and the vent is OK (I cut out about 6 extra feet of vent, but
still no dice).

If I go outside to the vent, I can feel heat coming out the vent, and
the thing spins, and gets the clothes hot.

However, it takes like 2 hours to dry clothes.

The element reads the correct resistance, and it's putting heat out.

Any other suggestions? I have heat, flow through the vent, and all
that, and I can't think of what else it could be.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 9:40?am, Mike wrote:
I have a GE Washer/Drier stackable set. The element is putting out
heat, and the vent is OK (I cut out about 6 extra feet of vent, but
still no dice).

If I go outside to the vent, I can feel heat coming out the vent, and
the thing spins, and gets the clothes hot.

However, it takes like 2 hours to dry clothes.

The element reads the correct resistance, and it's putting heat out.

Any other suggestions? I have heat, flow through the vent, and all
that, and I can't think of what else it could be.

Thanks.

disconnect vent temporarily and leave it vent indoors for one load.

does it dry better?

obstructed clogged vent line

or are clothes from washer heavier.

washer may not be spinning them out good, causing too wet trouble,
sopping wet clothes take longer to dry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Jul, 09:40, Mike wrote:
I have a GE Washer/Drier stackable set. The element is putting out
heat, and the vent is OK (I cut out about 6 extra feet of vent, but
still no dice).

If I go outside to the vent, I can feel heat coming out the vent, and
the thing spins, and gets the clothes hot.

However, it takes like 2 hours to dry clothes.

The element reads the correct resistance, and it's putting heat out.

Any other suggestions? I have heat, flow through the vent, and all
that, and I can't think of what else it could be.

Thanks.

Is the hot air that comes out of the vent moving in a forceful manner?
Is it possble that you have a partial blockage and that you are not
getting *enough* air flow through the vent?

Are you sure the unit is spinning sufficiently?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mike wrote:
I have a GE Washer/Drier stackable set. The element is putting out
heat, and the vent is OK (I cut out about 6 extra feet of vent, but
still no dice).

If I go outside to the vent, I can feel heat coming out the vent, and
the thing spins, and gets the clothes hot.

However, it takes like 2 hours to dry clothes.

The element reads the correct resistance, and it's putting heat out.

Any other suggestions? I have heat, flow through the vent, and all
that, and I can't think of what else it could be.

Lint trap clean? Full of lint elsewhere because it hadn't been kept
clean before?

What's RH? If you're in one of these areas that has been getting so
much rain than normal, more humid air than you're used to will cause
longer drying times even in a drier.

Stackable units just don't have the capacity of freestanding if that's
what you're used to and comparing against, too...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

One more thing...

Over-filling the drier will reduce its effectiveness, too...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

OK, it's not overfilled, and the washer spins OK, so I don't think
it's an issue of wet clothes.

I like the idea of dis-connecting the vent for a lot and seeing if
that helps. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mike wrote:
On Jul 6, 10:08 am, dpb wrote:
One more thing...

Over-filling the drier will reduce its effectiveness, too...

--

OK, it's not overfilled, and the washer spins OK, so I don't think
it's an issue of wet clothes.

I like the idea of dis-connecting the vent for a lot and seeing if
that helps. I'll give that a shot.

Put a piece of stocking or likewise over it or you may have a
mess...would be instructional to see what it catches, if anything, anyway.

Would possibly help to know if this is new/old drier, new/old to you,
new/old problem, etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

My dryer didn't work at all in the summer in the basement ; for that
matter, the metal down there was rusting from all the humidity.

Solved by putting up screens instead of windows on the basement, in
the warm season. That dropped the humidity (partly by raising the
temperature, of course; but also by exchanging air).

I suppose a dehumidifier would have the same beneficial effect but
air is free.

And there's always a clothesline for big objects if nothing else.

--
Ron Hardin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 10:21 am, Ron Hardin wrote:
My dryer didn't work at all in the summer in the basement ; for that
matter, the metal down there was rusting from all the humidity.

Solved by putting up screens instead of windows on the basement, in
the warm season. That dropped the humidity (partly by raising the
temperature, of course; but also by exchanging air).

I suppose a dehumidifier would have the same beneficial effect but
air is free.

And there's always a clothesline for big objects if nothing else.

--
Ron Hardin

The drier is new to me, but not really new. We've been in the house
for a year, and seen no difference (a'la Ron's humidity suggestion).

I'll post my results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a GE Washer/Drier stackable set. The element is putting out
heat, and the vent is OK (I cut out about 6 extra feet of vent, but
still no dice).

If I go outside to the vent, I can feel heat coming out the vent,
and
the thing spins, and gets the clothes hot.

However, it takes like 2 hours to dry clothes.

The element reads the correct resistance, and it's putting heat out.

Any other suggestions? I have heat, flow through the vent, and all
that, and I can't think of what else it could be.

Use a leaf blower or air gun on a compressor to blow out the vent
tube. Then take the dryer outside, and blow out every possible air
passage. Then lift the top and blow out around the drum, Then blow out
the passages again. Fixed.

Bob

Drier Repair George UK diy 15 March 8th 07 06:39 PM
drier bacteria lamp Ken Weitzel Electronics Repair 4 January 4th 07 02:42 AM
Which tumble drier...? Lobster UK diy 49 July 7th 06 03:26 AM
GE Drier timer repair FearlessFerret Electronics Repair 6 October 26th 05 06:17 PM
Drier in Bathroom Fredrick Skoog UK diy 6 September 27th 03 07:40 PM