Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default drier bacteria lamp

Hi...

Perhaps a little off-topic, but I'll fix that up at the end

Have a clothes drier (two, actually) with those anti-bacterial bulbs
in them. Both burned out. They look like old fashioned Christmas tree
bulbs, but 110 v 10 w, dual contact bayonet bases. Glass looks like
plain glass, but smoky.

Anyone have any idea whether or not they are of value health-wise ?

Searched google and stores without success, anyone have any idea
where I might find replacements ?

And for topic, I can see the broken filaments, anyone have any idea
how I go about repairing them?

Take care.

Ken
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Anyone have any idea whether or not they are of value health-wise ?

Presumably they are UV bulbs. The benefits are dubious unless you have
leprosy perhaps.

Try http://www.calutech.com/info.htm ??

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken Weitzel wrote in news:9JGmh.555906$R63.308697
@pd7urf1no:

I can see the broken filaments, anyone have any idea
how I go about repairing them?

No.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Hi...

Perhaps a little off-topic, but I'll fix that up at the end

Have a clothes drier (two, actually) with those anti-bacterial bulbs
in them. Both burned out. They look like old fashioned Christmas tree
bulbs, but 110 v 10 w, dual contact bayonet bases. Glass looks like
plain glass, but smoky.

Anyone have any idea whether or not they are of value health-wise ?

Searched google and stores without success, anyone have any idea
where I might find replacements ?

And for topic, I can see the broken filaments, anyone have any idea
how I go about repairing them?

Take care.

Ken

They sound more like filament bulbs that real UV bulbs. Filaments
produce minimal amounts of uv, but are often sold as uv tubes.

As for uv in a drier, what for? Dryness alone kills pretty much
everything. If you have a specific reason for needing them, eg a med
lab, then you'll need to replace the UVC tubes. But they sound more
like valueless filament jobs.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Hi...

Perhaps a little off-topic, but I'll fix that up at the end

Have a clothes drier (two, actually) with those anti-bacterial bulbs
in them. Both burned out. They look like old fashioned Christmas tree
bulbs, but 110 v 10 w, dual contact bayonet bases. Glass looks like
plain glass, but smoky.

Anyone have any idea whether or not they are of value health-wise ?

Searched google and stores without success, anyone have any idea
where I might find replacements ?

And for topic, I can see the broken filaments, anyone have any idea
how I go about repairing them?

Take care.

Ken

These are UV bulbs, they have a quartz glass envelope which passes hard
UV. The bulbs themselves are a discharge lamp with a filament to heat up
and strike the arc. Instead of a vacuum, the inner atmosphere is low
pressure argon with a bit of mercury. The lamps are run in series with a
choke similar to that used with small fluorescent tubes to limit the arc
current, powering one without the choke will destroy it.

The idea of the lamp is it emits UVC which breaks down oxygen in the air
into ozone, a highly reactive (and toxic) gas which reacts with and
breaks down odor causing substances. It's what's responsible for that
fresh scent after a thunderstorm, and can be produced in large
quantities by Tesla coils and other HV sources. Do not breath it more
than necessary, it's not good for you but it is good for killing
bacteria. My hot tub has an ozone generator to help clean the water, it
uses a modern quartz UV lamp internally similar to a small fluorescent tube.

Refrigerator water - black algae/bacteria? Roy Fek Home Repair 8 November 20th 19 03:44 AM
Iron Reducing Bacteria [email protected] Home Repair 9 December 24th 06 05:47 PM
Which tumble drier...? Lobster UK diy 49 July 7th 06 03:26 AM
flying bacteria from a toilet.? veteran Home Ownership 7 December 18th 04 05:22 AM
Drier in Bathroom Fredrick Skoog UK diy 6 September 27th 03 07:40 PM