Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default drier bacteria lamp

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Hi...

Perhaps a little off-topic, but I'll fix that up at the end

Have a clothes drier (two, actually) with those anti-bacterial bulbs
in them. Both burned out. They look like old fashioned Christmas tree
bulbs, but 110 v 10 w, dual contact bayonet bases. Glass looks like
plain glass, but smoky.

Anyone have any idea whether or not they are of value health-wise ?

Searched google and stores without success, anyone have any idea
where I might find replacements ?

And for topic, I can see the broken filaments, anyone have any idea
how I go about repairing them?

Take care.

Ken

They sound more like filament bulbs that real UV bulbs. Filaments
produce minimal amounts of uv, but are often sold as uv tubes.

As for uv in a drier, what for? Dryness alone kills pretty much
everything. If you have a specific reason for needing them, eg a med
lab, then you'll need to replace the UVC tubes. But they sound more
like valueless filament jobs.

NT