Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace an Irregular-Sized Cast Iron Pipe with PVC

I'm looking to replace several feet of damaged cast iron pipe in my
house (built in 1900). My plan was to cut out the cast iron section
and replace it with PVC pipe, which would be coupled with the old
piping using a coupling band.

The problem is that the diameter of cast iron pipe is 2 1/2 inches,
which seems to be irregular nowadays as the closest pipe / coupling
band diameter I can find is either 2 inches or 3 inches. Does anyone
have any recommendations on what to do, or where I can find 2 1/2
piping / coupling bands?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking to replace several feet of damaged cast iron pipe in my
house (built in 1900). My plan was to cut out the cast iron section
and replace it with PVC pipe, which would be coupled with the old
piping using a coupling band.

The problem is that the diameter of cast iron pipe is 2 1/2 inches,
which seems to be irregular nowadays as the closest pipe / coupling
band diameter I can find is either 2 inches or 3 inches. Does anyone
have any recommendations on what to do, or where I can find 2 1/2
piping / coupling bands?

Is the pipe normally under pressure? If not perhaps there is a flexible
sleeve that can be used, I've seen them advertised.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 10:54 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm looking to replace several feet of damaged cast iron pipe in my
house (built in 1900). My plan was to cut out the cast iron section
and replace it with PVC pipe, which would be coupled with the old
piping using a coupling band.

The problem is that the diameter of cast iron pipe is 2 1/2 inches,
which seems to be irregular nowadays as the closest pipe / coupling
band diameter I can find is either 2 inches or 3 inches. Does anyone
have any recommendations on what to do, or where I can find 2 1/2
piping / coupling bands?

Is the pipe normally under pressure? If not perhaps there is a flexible
sleeve that can be used, I've seen them advertised.

The pipe is part of the DWV stack (only a few feet below the roof) -
so my guess is that it is not under pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check out the various products at
http://www.fernco.com/home.asp

--