Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cast Iron Soil Pipe TLC

I have a cast iron soil pipe, which has a fibre t-piece connecting it
to the upstairs toilet, whic itself has a plastic outlet pipe. I was
rubbing down the pipe over the weekend, as the previous owners had
used regular dulux paint on it and it was flaking pretty badly, when I
noticed the fibre t-piece was really wet and mossy and upon a gentle
prodding with a finger start to disintegrate

The soil pipe is in pretty good nick, just a little rust which I am
intending to sort out, but what's the most practical and sensible way
to replace the t-piece? The pipe consists of 3 sections, one of which
sits above the t-piece and continues up through the roofline. It seems
to be held on with a single bracket, with BIG nails in it, and
basically puttied into the t-piece. I'm hoping to release the pipe
from the wall, raise it up a few inches and remove the t-piece,
replacing it with an angle-adjustable plastic one.
How manageable would this be halfway up a ladder, and is it worth the
effort or is it better to bite the bullet and swap the whole lot out
for plastic (and would this entail 'regulations')?

Cheers

Rich

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 01:53:11 -0700, hightower wrote:

[...]

If the upper section is cast iron don't even think about lifting it up
(unless you're one of those blokes on Channel 65 carrying a car body shell
on a couple of webbing straps over your shoulder!) You can get rubber
connecting sleeves with worm-drive clips to couple cast-iron to plastic,
or you may even be able to couple a plastic socket onto CI directly. Then
I'd be looking at cutting and replacing some of the CI with
plastic (leaving the fixing points holding what's left of the CI)

If you do replace it all best to do so in short-ish sections and from a
tower, rather than a ladder if possible. It is VERY heavy stuff.

--
John Stumbles

Xenophobia? - sounds a bit foreign to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

==================================
I'm in the process of doing a similar job myself (revised bathroom /
toilet layout) so just to add to what another poster (John Stumbles )
said. First, the cast iron pipe. According to my rough calculations it
weighs about 22 / 25Kg per metre so you might be trying to lift about 50Kg
(1 cwt Imperial). That could be very dangerous on a ladder. Second the
connectors mentioned. The rubber type with worm drive clips is readily
available from proper plumbers' merchants but it's expensive - about 25 GB
pounds for the 110mm size. The other type (plastic socket) is a bit hard
to find but Toolstation - www.toolstation.co.uk stock them under 'drain
connector - less than 6 pounds. Another brand is 'MacAlpine' part no:
Drain connector - Spigot / socket / DC1-Gr (or Bl for black) - about 6 GB
pounds.

In an emergency (and possibly permanently) you could use a standard
straight toilet waste connector instead of the specific drain connectors
mentioned but they're not as deeply socketed as the proper thing.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:52:30 +0000, Cicero wrote:

[...]

snipped

p.s. The rubber type has a trade name, 'Flexiseal'.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jun, 12:52, Cicero wrote:
Second the
connectors mentioned. The rubber type with worm drive clips is readily
available from proper plumbers' merchants but it's expensive - about 25 GB
pounds for the 110mm size. The other type (plastic socket) is a bit hard
to find but Toolstation -www.toolstation.co.ukstock them under 'drain
connector - less than 6 pounds.

Which, if either, is better?

When our plumber added the downstairs loo he cut the cast iron off
just above the ground, and used one of the rubber type to connect a
section of PVC up to the next joint in the cast iron, leaving the top
section untouched. The new soil pipe is branched into the new pvc
section from the side. My only concern is the expected lifetime of
the rubber component: it looks pretty tough but rubber does eventually
degrade. Will it last as long as the cast iron pipe has already
(about 100y)?

The pvc socket type looks longer lasting in that regard, but the seals
are rubber too, though not exposed to the sun.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jun, 13:36, 1970alr wrote:
On 11 Jun, 12:52, Cicero wrote:

[...]

This is why the internet is alright in my book, and not the spawn of
Satan as the Daily Mail tried to get me to believe. Thanks very much
to all posters for all this invaluable advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:36:03 -0700, 1970alr wrote:

On 11 Jun, 12:52, Cicero wrote:
[...]

My preference is for the solid PVC coupling but I'm not a professional so
others may know better. I think the rubber looks and feels like a bodge
although I don't doubt that they're fully approved.

As far as your particular situation is concerned I think I would have
serious concerns about the weight of the cast iron bearing down on PVC,
even if it's fixed with spikes into the wall. Cast iron isn't intended to
be hung loose as it effectively is in your case as PVC could easily bend
under the weight of the cast iron.

Maybe you should get a second opinion from a friendly BCO.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jun, 12:52, Cicero wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the further response. The top pipe must actually have a
further extension bit above it, because I just noticed the single
bracket holding it to the wall is below a collar such that the pipe
rests with its main weight on the collar/bracket. The t-piece I need
to change is fibre, which can't be much stronger than PVC so should be
OK? I'll definitely ensure the thing is safe before proceeding.

Cheers

Rich

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jun, 12:52, Cicero wrote:
[...]

I was actually referring to the situation described by another poster
(1970alr) but of course the same advice applies to your situation. Check
the condition of any fixings before doing any work. Cast iron is normally
strongly fixed but the fixings and brickwork into which they're fixed
deteriorate with time. If a section of cast iron comes loose you're in for
a bad headache!

Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux