Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC/Unit how big to go?

I have approximately a 4,000 sqft loft and not sure what size AC/
Furnace Unit I will need. Just trying to get a general idea. I was
looking at the following and not sure if it will be able to handle the
size of the room.

Goodman Air Conditioner/Furnace Package Unit

GOODMAN
Model: GPG13360901AB

13 SEER (cooling)
Cooling capacity: 35,400 BTU
80% AFUE (heating)
208 / 230 Volts
60 Hz
1 Phase

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deejay" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have approximately a 4,000 sqft loft and not sure what size AC/
Furnace Unit I will need. Just trying to get a general idea. I was
looking at the following and not sure if it will be able to handle the
size of the room.

Goodman Air Conditioner/Furnace Package Unit

GOODMAN
Model: GPG13360901AB

13 SEER (cooling)
Cooling capacity: 35,400 BTU
80% AFUE (heating)
208 / 230 Volts
60 Hz
1 Phase

In other discussions like this, people have said the Goodman equipment is
"contractor grade", which is the same comment I got from the people who
inspected my home before purchase. The vague definition is "sorta kinda good
enough, but look at other brands".

As far as the size, a competent contractor will survey the space and make a
recommendation based on more factors than just square footage. Another
factor would be the number and sizes of windows, for instance. You should
consult a contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deejay wrote:
I have approximately a 4,000 sqft loft and not sure what size AC/
Furnace Unit I will need. Just trying to get a general idea. I was
looking at the following and not sure if it will be able to handle the
size of the room.

Goodman Air Conditioner/Furnace Package Unit

GOODMAN
Model: GPG13360901AB

13 SEER (cooling)
Cooling capacity: 35,400 BTU
80% AFUE (heating)
208 / 230 Volts
60 Hz
1 Phase

Hi,
Why don't you get an extimate by a competent pro.
Up here, rule of thumb for cooling need is 1 ton(12,000BTU)
per 600 sqf. I am no expert but looks like you need bigger one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have a HVAC contractor in your area come by your place and perform a heat load.

You really need to find the right size because if it's too small it will not cool properly and if it's too big it again will not cool properly.

Question is this a window unit? If it is you can go to a number of places to find the right size for window units and you will not have to have a heat load. They are generally for central air.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
"Deejay" wrote in message ups.com...
I have approximately a 4,000 sqft loft and not sure what size AC/
Furnace Unit I will need. Just trying to get a general idea. I was
looking at the following and not sure if it will be able to handle the
size of the room.

Goodman Air Conditioner/Furnace Package Unit

GOODMAN
Model: GPG13360901AB

13 SEER (cooling)
Cooling capacity: 35,400 BTU
80% AFUE (heating)
208 / 230 Volts
60 Hz
1 Phase

Posted to alt.home.repair

I will see about geeting a heat load test. No this one is not a window
unit.

On Jul 5, 11:08 am, "Moe Jones" wrote:
Have a HVAC contractor in your area come by your place and perform a heat load.

You really need to find the right size because if it's too small it will not cool properly and if it's too big it again will not cool properly.

Question is this a window unit? If it is you can go to a number of places to find the right size for window units and you will not have to have a heat load. They are generally for central air.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
Energy Equalizers Inc.
Houston, Texaswww.EnergyEqualizers.com
"Deejay" wrote in oglegroups.com...
I have approximately a 4,000 sqft loft and not sure what size AC/
Furnace Unit I will need. Just trying to get a general idea. I was
looking at the following and not sure if it will be able to handle the
size of the room.

Goodman Air Conditioner/Furnace Package Unit

GOODMAN
Model: GPG13360901AB

13 SEER (cooling)
Cooling capacity: 35,400 BTU
80% AFUE (heating)
208 / 230 Volts
60 Hz
1 Phase

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 16:16:42 -0000, Deejay wrote:

[...]

I'm in the market for a new one too. Mine is 22 years old this
month. It's a trane and it keeps on running, but I supplement it with
wall units that are very high EER so I hardly ever fire it up.

But, I am not getting anything but a multi-speed compressor unit.

"Right sized 2-speed high SEER (15+) heat pump HVAC system with
variable speed blower. A 'right sized' system with a multi speed
compressor assures that the unit has a sufficient cycle time to both
provide desired comfort level and optimum dehumidification."

Pay more now and enjoy 10-20 years of comfort.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:02:37 -0500, ValveJob wrote:

I'm in the market for a new one too. Mine is 22 years old this
month. It's a trane and it keeps on running, but I supplement it with
wall units that are very high EER so I hardly ever fire it up.

But, I am not getting anything but a multi-speed compressor unit.

"Right sized 2-speed high SEER (15+) heat pump HVAC system with
variable speed blower.

I knew they had variable speed blowers, but how is it possible to have
a 2-speed compressor?

A 'right sized' system with a multi speed
compressor assures that the unit has a sufficient cycle time to both
provide desired comfort level and optimum dehumidification."

Pay more now and enjoy 10-20 years of comfort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:02:37 -0500, ValveJob wrote:

I'm in the market for a new one too. Mine is 22 years old this
month. It's a trane and it keeps on running, but I supplement it with
wall units that are very high EER so I hardly ever fire it up.

But, I am not getting anything but a multi-speed compressor unit.

"Right sized 2-speed high SEER (15+) heat pump HVAC system with
variable speed blower.

I knew they had variable speed blowers, but how is it possible to have
a 2-speed compressor?

The same way it's possible to have multi-speed motors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:01:53 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:02:37 -0500, ValveJob wrote:

I'm in the market for a new one too. Mine is 22 years old this
month. It's a trane and it keeps on running, but I supplement it with
wall units that are very high EER so I hardly ever fire it up.

But, I am not getting anything but a multi-speed compressor unit.

"Right sized 2-speed high SEER (15+) heat pump HVAC system with
variable speed blower.

I knew they had variable speed blowers, but how is it possible to have
a 2-speed compressor?

A 'right sized' system with a multi speed
compressor assures that the unit has a sufficient cycle time to both
provide desired comfort level and optimum dehumidification."

Pay more now and enjoy 10-20 years of comfort.

Some say they have dual compressors and others say they have dual
speeds for a single compressor.

They are quite popular but expensive so more new ones are coming out
all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deejay" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have approximately a 4,000 sqft loft and not sure what size AC/
Furnace Unit I will need. Just trying to get a general idea. I was
looking at the following and not sure if it will be able to handle the
size of the room.

Goodman Air Conditioner/Furnace Package Unit

GOODMAN
Model: GPG13360901AB

13 SEER (cooling)
Cooling capacity: 35,400 BTU
80% AFUE (heating)
208 / 230 Volts
60 Hz
1 Phase

Manual J to size the equipment.

Manual D to size the ducting.

Anything else is a pure guess.
Do it right, or do it twice!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:37:13 -0000, Deejay wrote:

I have approximately a 4,000 sqft loft and not sure what size AC/
Furnace Unit I will need. Just trying to get a general idea. I was
looking at the following and not sure if it will be able to handle the
size of the room.

"Air Conditioning System Sizing for Optimal EER & SEER Efficiency"
http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioning-sizing.html

Bigger Is Not Better: Sizing Air Conditioners Properly
http://www.proctoreng.com/articles/bigger.html

HVAC-Calc, the easy to use Heat Loss and Heat Gain Calculator
http://www.hvaccomputer.com/gsizeindex.asp

Information courtesy of
Roy Starrin
National/International News Editor
www.VirginiaNewsSource.com

A/C Evaporator Unit; Help Please! [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 24th 07 01:36 PM
Old a/c unit, never used, still good? J Home Repair 1 May 19th 07 03:51 AM
New AC unit coustanis Home Repair 1 May 31st 06 08:36 PM
AC unit reccomendations? Donna Home Ownership 1 May 30th 06 05:27 PM
Which AC Unit Uses Less Power? Dick Home Repair 8 June 29th 05 06:09 AM