Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Tiling an indoor porch tomorrow, any tips?

Actually my father-in-law is coming over to help and he has done this
a little before some I won't be totally helpless but I was just
wondering if anyone had any tips that have served them well in the
past for someone who isn't experienced in the process.

I bought thinset, grout, ceramic tiles, sponges, a level, a couple of
buckets, a couple of trowels. We are going to rent a tile cutter at
Home Depot tomorrow once we are ready to put down the thinset. I'm
going to scrape down the 50 year old linoleum off the cement base
tonight, does it need to be totally clean for the thinset to adhere?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually my father-in-law is coming over to help and he has done this
a little before some I won't be totally helpless but I was just
wondering if anyone had any tips that have served them well in the
past for someone who isn't experienced in the process.

I bought thinset, grout, ceramic tiles, sponges, a level, a couple of
buckets, a couple of trowels. We are going to rent a tile cutter at
Home Depot tomorrow once we are ready to put down the thinset. I'm
going to scrape down the 50 year old linoleum off the cement base
tonight, does it need to be totally clean for the thinset to adhere?

The cleaner the better. I've been told that it will never adhere properly
over such a surface. I have also seen it work.

Just remember to find the midpoint and not wind up with any slivers at the
edges.

Use spacers to hold the tile in place till the thinset dries. And tell the
wife you will kill her if she dis-believes and walks on it before it is
grouted. - BTDT

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:19:30 -0000, Joe wrote:

Actually my father-in-law is coming over to help and he has done this
a little before some I won't be totally helpless but I was just
wondering if anyone had any tips that have served them well in the
past for someone who isn't experienced in the process.

I bought thinset, grout, ceramic tiles, sponges, a level, a couple of
buckets, a couple of trowels. We are going to rent a tile cutter at
Home Depot tomorrow once we are ready to put down the thinset. I'm
going to scrape down the 50 year old linoleum off the cement base
tonight, does it need to be totally clean for the thinset to adhere?

Definitely not.
Just use liberal amounts of thinset. The concrete will not let the
ceramic tile go anywhere.

..
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bas Bas is offline

Joe wrote:
Actually my father-in-law is coming over to help and he has done this
a little before some I won't be totally helpless but I was just
wondering if anyone had any tips that have served them well in the
past for someone who isn't experienced in the process.

I bought thinset, grout, ceramic tiles, sponges, a level, a couple of
buckets, a couple of trowels. We are going to rent a tile cutter at
Home Depot tomorrow once we are ready to put down the thinset. I'm
going to scrape down the 50 year old linoleum off the cement base
tonight, does it need to be totally clean for the thinset to adhere?

The more you scrape off, the better the thinset (and tiles) will adhere.
I'd try to get it all off, but don't fret over trace amounts.

Tip: Get some kneepads. You can cheap ones for $10, your knees will
thank you.

Floor tiling tips kd UK diy 2 September 11th 05 08:27 PM
Three-season porch deck tiling....... [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 31st 05 05:56 AM
Tiling tips? tarquinlinbin UK diy 6 March 28th 05 10:46 PM
Tiling tips? tarquinlinbin UK diy 2 March 24th 05 05:02 PM
Tiling a floor and using Hardibacker500. Any tips? Mike Barnard UK diy 2 September 22nd 04 06:26 PM