Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

Default how to prevent rust on tools

It seems like all the tap and die sets I've owned over the years end up
dying from rust.

For some reason, those things love to sit around and rust when stored.

What can be put in the case to prevent rusting? I thought about spraying
'em down with oil, but that's a bit messy, and I suspect it would evaporate,
over time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in
:

It seems like all the tap and die sets I've owned over the years end
up dying from rust.

For some reason, those things love to sit around and rust when stored.

What can be put in the case to prevent rusting? I thought about
spraying 'em down with oil, but that's a bit messy, and I suspect it
would evaporate, over time.

Boeshield T-9 spray,or there's a paper that exudes a vapor that prevents
rust,that you can put into the tool container/drawer.

A dip in kerosene is alleged to leave a waxy coating that prevents rust.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message
It seems like all the tap and die sets I've owned over the years end up
dying from rust.

For some reason, those things love to sit around and rust when stored.

What can be put in the case to prevent rusting? I thought about spraying
'em down with oil, but that's a bit messy, and I suspect it would
evaporate, over time.

Cosmoline is one option, although that is pretty messy crap - probably not
what you're looking for. Another possible solution would be to store the
tool in a tight fitting box and toss a few of those silica gel bags in with
it - the same bags you get when you buy shoes, computer parts, and other
moisture sensitive items. A simple Rubbermaid tote with silica gel bags
would do the trick. Be sure not to store metal on top of metal, corrosion
can also occur through that mechanism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rb writes:

What can be put in the case to prevent rusting?

Short term: WD-40 and the like.

Long term: Spray can of white lithium grease.

Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
"rb" wrote in
:

It seems like all the tap and die sets I've owned over the years end
up dying from rust.

For some reason, those things love to sit around and rust when stored.

What can be put in the case to prevent rusting? I thought about
spraying 'em down with oil, but that's a bit messy, and I suspect it
would evaporate, over time.

Boeshield T-9 spray,or there's a paper that exudes a vapor that prevents
rust,that you can put into the tool container/drawer.

A dip in kerosene is alleged to leave a waxy coating that prevents rust.

not alleged; it actually will leave a coating of paraffin behind when it
evaporates. Old timers used to wash their tractors etc. with kerosene
to prevent rust.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Jim Yanik wrote:
"rb" wrote in
:
It seems like all the tap and die sets I've owned over the years end
up dying from rust.

For some reason, those things love to sit around and rust when stored.

What can be put in the case to prevent rusting? I thought about
spraying 'em down with oil, but that's a bit messy, and I suspect it
would evaporate, over time.

Boeshield T-9 spray,or there's a paper that exudes a vapor that prevents
rust,that you can put into the tool container/drawer.

A dip in kerosene is alleged to leave a waxy coating that prevents rust.

not alleged; it actually will leave a coating of paraffin behind when it
evaporates. Old timers used to wash their tractors etc. with kerosene to
prevent rust.

nate

I clean all my guns with diesel/kerosene, it won't harm the wood in small
quantities, cleans off any residual greases, and leaves a light coating of
protection behind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:32:38 -0500, "rb" wrote:

It seems like all the tap and die sets I've owned over the years end up
dying from rust.

For some reason, those things love to sit around and rust when stored.

What can be put in the case to prevent rusting? I thought about spraying
'em down with oil, but that's a bit messy, and I suspect it would evaporate,
over time.

You can spray them with WD40, wipe them with a rag dampened with
kerosene, or put some chalk pieces (or desiccant packs) in the case.
The wiping with kerosene can remove light rust. Store the case in a
dry and warm area or use an airtight container.
Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

Good responses and ideas. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:32:38 -0500, "rb" wrote:

It seems like all the tap and die sets I've owned over the years end up
dying from rust.

For some reason, those things love to sit around and rust when stored.

What can be put in the case to prevent rusting? I thought about spraying
'em down with oil, but that's a bit messy, and I suspect it would evaporate,
over time.

Don't know about sets, but JCWhitney used to sell padding for tool
drawers that they said contained a rust preventitive. If they work,
I'm sure other places do too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 1:32 pm, "rb" wrote:
It seems like all the tap and die sets I've owned over the years end up
dying from rust.

For some reason, those things love to sit around and rust when stored.

What can be put in the case to prevent rusting? I thought about spraying
'em down with oil, but that's a bit messy, and I suspect it would evaporate,
over time.

One approach for seldom tools is to find an paraffin (wax) heater at a
thrift store...it is used for skin care.

You melt wax in the heater and dip your taps and dies in it. WIth the
wax coating, there will be no rust.

A friend treated a tap and die set this way and then stored the tools
in a jar of water for a year.

No rust.

He always has had a knack for making his point...and he enjoyed the
free lunch he won from me too.

TMT

Posted to alt.home.repair

Too_Many_Tools writes:

One approach for seldom tools is to find an paraffin (wax) heater at a
thrift store...it is used for skin care.

You melt wax in the heater and dip your taps and dies in it. WIth the
wax coating, there will be no rust.

If you want a somewhat thinner coating of wax, you might try a trick
used by machine knitters (my wife is one): Dissolve some paraffin wax
in pure alcohol (e.g. the 99.5% pure isopropyl alcohol that pharmacies
carry). Use this as a cleaning solution for the tools. The alcohol
dissolves all the old oil, grease, and gunk. When you're done cleaning,
leave the tools to air dry. The alcohol evaporates, leaving behind a
thin wax film that protects the surface until it's used next.

And then there is LPS-3, a spray that leaves behind a *thick* waxy
coating.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Martindale wrote:
If you want a somewhat thinner coating of wax, you might try a trick
used by machine knitters (my wife is one)

Does she make you unravel and roll up the steel wool?

--
Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within
via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are