Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default how to prevent rust on tools

"rb" wrote in message
It seems like all the tap and die sets I've owned over the years end up
dying from rust.

For some reason, those things love to sit around and rust when stored.

What can be put in the case to prevent rusting? I thought about spraying
'em down with oil, but that's a bit messy, and I suspect it would
evaporate, over time.

Cosmoline is one option, although that is pretty messy crap - probably not
what you're looking for. Another possible solution would be to store the
tool in a tight fitting box and toss a few of those silica gel bags in with
it - the same bags you get when you buy shoes, computer parts, and other
moisture sensitive items. A simple Rubbermaid tote with silica gel bags
would do the trick. Be sure not to store metal on top of metal, corrosion
can also occur through that mechanism.