Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE answering machines

I noticed my new GE 29871 answering machine lost some of it's settings on a
recent
power failure. I just assumed it had a battery backup, as most devices of this
type do. After calling GE, I was told that newer versions of this machine have
come out
with a battery backup. What is strange is that these newer versions carry the
exact
same model number. That means that if you buy them in the store, there is no
way
of knowing if it includes the battery backup, or not. Seems like they are
obligated
to give this newer version a different number like a 29871-A, so that people can

identify the newer models. I also assume that it is clearly written on the box
that it
has a battery backup, but who knows.

Sherwin D.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 00:50:07 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

[...]

It should have a different model number, definitely.

Yours probably has either a) a capacitor backup that will keep the
voltage high enough through power outages. That has the advantage
that there is no battery that needs changing, but otoh, when the cap
fails, it can't be so easily changed. OR
b) bubble memory or some other kind that doesn't forget things even
when no voltage is present. I doubt if it b, because a) it wouldn't
have broken if it did, and b) surely they would give it a different
model number if had digital bubble memory and the new ones need a
battery. They must be very different. Whereas a batter versus a cap
is only a 1 to 3 or so part difference.

I like tapes, but I've so far been unable to get a working version of
the 1983 model that I want, so I've been buying old models at hamfests
etc for between one and three dollars. One all digital machine hadn't
been plugged in for two years that I had it, plus how ever long the
previous guy didn't use it, and when I finally did, it played
excellently all the old messages to the other guy. I guess that is
bubble memory or something just as good.

Sherwin D.

You might be able to take yours apart and find and replace the
capacitor. If you want to try, I'm sure I and people here will try to
find pictures of memory capacitors. I think for VCRs, they were 3
dollars at the cheapest source.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 7:04?am, Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

What was your question?- Hide quoted text -

buy a cheap UPS, uninterruptible power supply, for less than 30 bucks
not only will your answering machine hold all settings during a power
failure it will work normally during the power failure and never miss
a call. answering machines use little power so a small cheap UPS is
all you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jul 4, 1:19 am, mm wrote:

It should have a different model number, definitely.

It may keep the same model number but have a revision number. (i.e.
29871 Rev.1)

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 3:31?pm, KC wrote:
On Jul 4, 1:19 am, mm wrote:

It should have a different model number, definitely.

It may keep the same model number but have a revision number. (i.e.
29871 Rev.1)

KC

UPS also by design protects against surges and voltage drop outs

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 12:31:07 -0700, KC wrote:

On Jul 4, 1:19 am, mm wrote:

It should have a different model number, definitely.

It may keep the same model number but have a revision number. (i.e.
29871 Rev.1)

Sure. I figure if either had a revision number, he would have
mentioned it.

KC