Posted to alt.home.repair

Default repainting wood doors - roll or brush?

I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house and I'm now at
the point where I need to start doing the wooden doors. The door are
3-panel types with "simulated grain", and I'm using Behr satin latex paint.
I've gotten different recommendations from various people - some say to use
a brush and some say to roll it out. Which method is preferable? If the
best way is to roll the paint on, what brand of rollers is best?

Thanks,

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a short nap roller in order to get an even paint application. While it
is still wet, I let a 3 or 4 inch brush glide over the stipple marks left by
the roller, using only the weight of the brush, holding the brush by the tip
of the handle. The result is a very smooth finish, without stipples.

You may want to first try this on a piece of scrap.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Jean" wrote in message
I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house and I'm now at
the point where I need to start doing the wooden doors. The door are
3-panel types with "simulated grain", and I'm using Behr satin latex
paint.
I've gotten different recommendations from various people - some say to
use
a brush and some say to roll it out. Which method is preferable? If the
best way is to roll the paint on, what brand of rollers is best?

Thanks,

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use brushes. A round sash brush for the edges of the panels, then
about a 2" brush for the rest of the door. Work from top to bottom, do
the panels first, so you can pick up any runs. Finish with edge and
frame.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jean wrote:
I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house and I'm now at
the point where I need to start doing the wooden doors. The door are
3-panel types with "simulated grain", and I'm using Behr satin latex paint.
I've gotten different recommendations from various people - some say to use
a brush and some say to roll it out. Which method is preferable? If the
best way is to roll the paint on, what brand of rollers is best?

Thanks,

Jean

Hi,
I always use brush. Interior or exterior doors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| "Jean" wrote in message
| I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house and I'm now
at
| the point where I need to start doing the wooden doors. The door are
| 3-panel types with "simulated grain", and I'm using Behr satin latex
| paint.
| I've gotten different recommendations from various people - some say to
| use
| a brush and some say to roll it out. Which method is preferable? If the
| best way is to roll the paint on, what brand of rollers is best?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Jean

|"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .
| I use a short nap roller in order to get an even paint application. While
it
| is still wet, I let a 3 or 4 inch brush glide over the stipple marks left
by
| the roller, using only the weight of the brush, holding the brush by the
tip
| of the handle. The result is a very smooth finish, without stipples.
|
| You may want to first try this on a piece of scrap.
|
| --
| Walter
| www.rationality.net
| -

Interesting option. Is the purpose of the roller to get the paint down
fast? Do you just use a regular 8" roller with 3/8" nap?

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jean" wrote in message
I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house and I'm now at
the point where I need to start doing the wooden doors. The door are
3-panel types with "simulated grain", and I'm using Behr satin latex

paint.
I've gotten different recommendations from various people - some say to

use
a brush and some say to roll it out. Which method is preferable? If the
best way is to roll the paint on, what brand of rollers is best?

Thanks,

Jean

I take them outside and spray them - no brush or roller marks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The roller applies the paint faster and more evenly than a brush can. Any
size roller will do, depending on what you do, door trim or door panels. 9"
is fine for a door without any panels. I like 4" for the jambs. The shorter
the nap, the better, think 1/8" or 1/4". Do a section at a time to make sure
the paint does not dry before you can smooth it out with the tender touch of
a brush.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Jean" wrote in message

| "Jean" wrote in message
| I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house and I'm now
at
| the point where I need to start doing the wooden doors. The door are
| 3-panel types with "simulated grain", and I'm using Behr satin latex
| paint.
| I've gotten different recommendations from various people - some say
| use
| a brush and some say to roll it out. Which method is preferable? If
the
| best way is to roll the paint on, what brand of rollers is best?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Jean

|"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .
| I use a short nap roller in order to get an even paint application.
While
it
| is still wet, I let a 3 or 4 inch brush glide over the stipple marks
left
by
| the roller, using only the weight of the brush, holding the brush by the
tip
| of the handle. The result is a very smooth finish, without stipples.
|
| You may want to first try this on a piece of scrap.
|
| --
| Walter
| www.rationality.net
| -

Interesting option. Is the purpose of the roller to get the paint down
fast? Do you just use a regular 8" roller with 3/8" nap?

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the advice - I think I'm going to try it your way. I once tried
rolling the panels out, but I was disappointed with the lack of smoothness.
Your trick using the brush should cure that problem.

Jean

"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .
| The roller applies the paint faster and more evenly than a brush can. Any
| size roller will do, depending on what you do, door trim or door panels.
9"
| is fine for a door without any panels. I like 4" for the jambs. The
shorter
| the nap, the better, think 1/8" or 1/4". Do a section at a time to make
sure
| the paint does not dry before you can smooth it out with the tender touch
of
| a brush.
|

| --
| Walter
| www.rationality.net
| -
| "Jean" wrote in message
|
| | "Jean" wrote in message
| | I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house and I'm
now
| at
| | the point where I need to start doing the wooden doors. The door
are
| | 3-panel types with "simulated grain", and I'm using Behr satin
latex
| | paint.
| | I've gotten different recommendations from various people - some
say
| | use
| | a brush and some say to roll it out. Which method is preferable? If
| the
| | best way is to roll the paint on, what brand of rollers is best?
| |
| | Thanks,
| |
| | Jean
| |
| |
| |
| |"Walter R." wrote in message
| .. .
| | I use a short nap roller in order to get an even paint application.
| While
| it
| | is still wet, I let a 3 or 4 inch brush glide over the stipple marks
| left
| by
| | the roller, using only the weight of the brush, holding the brush by
the
| tip
| | of the handle. The result is a very smooth finish, without stipples.
| |
| | You may want to first try this on a piece of scrap.
| |
| | --
| | Walter
| | www.rationality.net
| | -
|

| Interesting option. Is the purpose of the roller to get the paint down
| fast? Do you just use a regular 8" roller with 3/8" nap?
|
| Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair

The pocket door I treated this way was rolled with oil in a kitchen
and the 4" brush was already loaded with paint. Very light touch
while paint was fresh and the job leveled beautifully!

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:54:12 -0400, "Jean" wrote:

Thanks for the advice - I think I'm going to try it your way. I once tried
rolling the panels out, but I was disappointed with the lack of smoothness.
Your trick using the brush should cure that problem.

Jean

"Walter R." wrote in message
. ..
| The roller applies the paint faster and more evenly than a brush can. Any
| size roller will do, depending on what you do, door trim or door panels.
9"
| is fine for a door without any panels. I like 4" for the jambs. The
shorter
| the nap, the better, think 1/8" or 1/4". Do a section at a time to make
sure
| the paint does not dry before you can smooth it out with the tender touch
of
| a brush.
|

| --
| Walter
| www.rationality.net
| -
| "Jean" wrote in message
|
| | "Jean" wrote in message
| | I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house and I'm
now
| at
| | the point where I need to start doing the wooden doors. The door
are
| | 3-panel types with "simulated grain", and I'm using Behr satin
latex
| | paint.
| | I've gotten different recommendations from various people - some
say
| | use
| | a brush and some say to roll it out. Which method is preferable? If
| the
| | best way is to roll the paint on, what brand of rollers is best?
| |
| | Thanks,
| |
| | Jean