Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Wood Screen Doors

I need two wood screen doors for a cabin. I am having trouble finding any
that don't cost as much as a used car. Any sources?

If I was to build some, what would be the best wood to use?

Help and tips appreciated.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Steve B wrote:
I need two wood screen doors for a cabin. I am having trouble
finding any that don't cost as much as a used car. Any sources?

If I was to build some, what would be the best wood to use?

Poplar.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need two wood screen doors for a cabin. I am having trouble finding any
that don't cost as much as a used car. Any sources?

Koopmans Lumber has them.

If I was to build some, what would be the best wood to use?

Pine, fir, poplar, cedar, cypress, redwood.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

dadiOH wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I need two wood screen doors for a cabin. I am having trouble
finding any that don't cost as much as a used car. Any sources?

If I was to build some, what would be the best wood to use?

Poplar.

You'll find differing opinions on this, but many people have horror
stories of poplar rotting out within a few years when used in an
exterior application. I would not use poplar. You need a wood that in
addition to being rot resistant, will also remain straight when sawn
into a long thin board (you don't want a warped door). Old growth
softwoods such as fir will work for this, I'm sure there are other
woods too. You can't just use a piece of cheap knotty pine that you
would get from Home Depot for this, unless of course you don't care
about a warped door if it is just a cabin.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 4 May 2006 08:04:58 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I need two wood screen doors for a cabin. I am having trouble finding any
that don't cost as much as a used car. Any sources?

If I was to build some, what would be the best wood to use?

For a light screen door, that
you take off when you're not around,
use 1x2 pine, and nylon screening.
Use diagonals at the corners.
Use a stiffener across the middle.

If they're expected to stand rough duty,
use 1x4s instead, and put hardware mesh
on over the screening. YMCA camps that
I've been at use plank-built doors with
a window-hole in the top half, rather
than a full-height screen, which makes
the doors sturdy enough to withstand
some hefty spring-closures, but I'm pretty
sure it's still just #2 pine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need two wood screen doors for a cabin. I am having trouble finding any
that don't cost as much as a used car. Any sources?

If I was to build some, what would be the best wood to use?

Help and tips appreciated.

Steve

I buy mine at Lowe's, generally getting about 7 years of heavy use out of
it. I always add a anti-sag rod with a turn-buckle as the doors sag on the
leading edge. Fifty-couple bucks won't buy you a used car but it does for
my door. With kids and grandkids it gets the heck used out of it.