Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutter problem(Pics included)

Hello,
I have a gutter problem now. When it rains, the water drains off the
gutter to the side. After it stopped raining, i checked it and there
was nothing blocking the drain. Also, i noticed the water dripping
underneath. I thought there might be a hole underneath it, but there
wasn't as far as my eye could see so it must be the water dripping to
the side and flowing down. What is causing this? The dent? Is there a
way to fix this without replacing the entire gutter. It is a metal
gutter. I have a few pics which one is during the downpour and the
other one with rain subsided quite a bit. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...icture006a.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...icture007a.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...Picture009.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe Abe is offline

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 09:03:47 -0700, "
wrote:

Hello,
I have a gutter problem now. When it rains, the water drains off the
gutter to the side. After it stopped raining, i checked it and there
was nothing blocking the drain. Also, i noticed the water dripping
underneath. I thought there might be a hole underneath it, but there
wasn't as far as my eye could see so it must be the water dripping to
the side and flowing down. What is causing this? The dent? Is there a
way to fix this without replacing the entire gutter. It is a metal
gutter. I have a few pics which one is during the downpour and the
other one with rain subsided quite a bit. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...icture006a.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...icture007a.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...Picture009.jpg

The problem is due to the dip in the area of the gutter in the area of
the dent. The gutter should have a continuous straight slope to the
downspout. You can try working out the dip. In the event you can't
work it out, replace that section of gutter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 12:03 pm, " wrote:
Hello,
I have a gutter problem now. When it rains, the water drains off the
gutter to the side. After it stopped raining, i checked it and there
was nothing blocking the drain. Also, i noticed the water dripping
underneath. I thought there might be a hole underneath it, but there
wasn't as far as my eye could see so it must be the water dripping to
the side and flowing down. What is causing this? The dent? Is there a
way to fix this without replacing the entire gutter. It is a metal
gutter. I have a few pics which one is during the downpour and the
other one with rain subsided quite a bit. Thanks.

The gutter can't handle that volume of rainfall. The dent is
providing a low spot, but there appears to be a reasonable amount of
slope to the gutter so it shouldn't be overflowing in the middle.
There's a restriction to the water flow somewhere for sure - I'd check
for blockage in the downspout (aka leader).

If the gutter overflows in less than monsoon conditions, you may
simply be asking it to handle a volume of water that it can't. Adding
another downspout would help, but that isn't always possible due to
problems with location. You'd also have to reset the gutter so it
would drain to both downspouts. Replacing the 5" gutter with 6" and
the 2" x 3" downspout with a 3" x 4" would most likely take care of
any capacity problems.

Easiest thing is to have the gutter replaced, but check for blockage
in the downspout that might not be visible before you spend any
money. Run a plumbing snake down it, or stick a running hose in it
and work it down to see if you can blow the blockage loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 1, 11:03 am, " wrote:
Hello,
I have a gutter problem now. When it rains, the water drains off the
gutter to the side. After it stopped raining, i checked it and there
was nothing blocking the drain. Also, i noticed the water dripping
underneath. I thought there might be a hole underneath it, but there
wasn't as far as my eye could see so it must be the water dripping to
the side and flowing down. What is causing this? The dent? Is there a
way to fix this without replacing the entire gutter. It is a metal
gutter. I have a few pics which one is during the downpour and the
other one with rain subsided quite a bit. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...Picture009.jpg

That poor gutter needs to be replaced. The failure area seems to be
where two sections were joined together. These days some contractors
are offering seamless gutters, which are made from coil stock on the
job site. The continuous lengths have minor advantages, like somewhat
better flow, better appearance, and longer life. Installation in our
area is also cheaper, less labor.You also obviously have tree leaves
to contend with, so you need to adopt a regular cleaning schedule to
keep the system clean. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
Take a garden hose and run it down the downspout. I really feel like the
something is preventing it from taking the rain. It could be choked with
leaves and not be visible at the inlet. You might look into adding an
additional downspout(s). From your pictures, I can't see any.

Sure looks like a clogged downspout and, as others have posted, a sagging
gutter plus a leaking joint as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Hello,
I have a gutter problem now. When it rains, the water drains off the
gutter to the side. After it stopped raining, i checked it and there
was nothing blocking the drain. Also, i noticed the water dripping
underneath. I thought there might be a hole underneath it, but there
wasn't as far as my eye could see so it must be the water dripping to
the side and flowing down. What is causing this? The dent? Is there a
way to fix this without replacing the entire gutter. It is a metal
gutter. I have a few pics which one is during the downpour and the
other one with rain subsided quite a bit. Thanks.

Do your downspouts disappear into the ground, or do they come out onto
splash blocks. If the latter, is the same amount coming out of the
one on this gutter as comes out some other side of the house?
Allowing for the difference in roof area that each gutter supports.

Do your neighbors with similarly sized roof areas have the same size
gutters or bigger? Do they have overflows?

Put a garden hose in the downspout with no nozzle on it and see how
much water the downspout can take before it backs up. I think maybe
it should be able to handle the maximum amount that your garden hose
can put out without backing up. Check other downspouts for
comparison.

If the downspout can handle all the water you can give it, for 4 or 5
minutes, maybe it is mostly the slope.

It's not the bump itself that is the problem but that it is sagging at
that spot. Maybe a couple gutter spikes or maybe gutter screws, one
on either side of that bump, to lift the gutter there, while you are
careful to lift it just enough so that it is at the original height,
so there is a continuous gradual slope in the whole gutter.

Get out there in the rain when the gutter is overlowing and with a
ladder check how high the water is in the gutters that aren't
overflowing, and look at the water surface in the overflowing one, and
check the level right next to the downspout. It should I think, since
your gutter isn't draining well, be higher than other parts of that
gutter, and decide if straigtening the gutter will be enough to stop
the overflowing, or to put more water at the downspout.

If one uses an aluminum step ladder but is right nest to the house
during lightning, is there a risk? I wouldn't think so if your head
is only a foot above the gutter or less, but I wouldn't use an
extension ladder that stuck up above the roof in a lightning storm.

Wood and fiberglass are fine.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...icture006a.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...icture007a.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...Picture009.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:54:15 -0400, mm
wrote:

[...]

I forgot that you have to allow for wind direction too, if the wind
isn't parallel to the gutter. If there is wind and it is from the far
side of the house, there will be less rain on the near side of the
roof.

Might even be easier to compare with a neighbor's house, especially if
the roof is the same size and shape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just checked with the ladder though the rain has stopped. There is
no clogging sort of speak. The downspout splatters to a splash block
and there is considerable water able to flow down it. I think the bent
part of the gutter is causing the water flow to spill over the side.
Would i have to replace the entire gutter or can i just fix that bent
part? Also, if it is just that part, what kinda tools do i need to fix
this? Thanks everyone for the replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If downspout is clogged, wouldn't the waterflow spill over to the
sides completely rather than just that sagged/bent part? I just
checked the downspout and it does have some debris, but the water
still flows out pretty well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 12:03 pm, " wrote:
Hello,
I have a gutter problem now. When it rains, the water drains off the
gutter to the side. After it stopped raining, i checked it and there
was nothing blocking the drain. Also, i noticed the water dripping
underneath. I thought there might be a hole underneath it, but there
wasn't as far as my eye could see so it must be the water dripping to
the side and flowing down. What is causing this? The dent? Is there a
way to fix this without replacing the entire gutter. It is a metal
gutter. I have a few pics which one is during the downpour and the
other one with rain subsided quite a bit. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...Picture009.jpg

buffalo ny: and if we saw an overhead view, it may show leaves or pine
needles.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:09:53 -0700, "
wrote:

If downspout is clogged, wouldn't the waterflow spill over to the
sides completely rather than just that sagged/bent part? I just

It would come out the low spot, and the more there were, the .

checked the downspout and it does have some debris, but the water
still flows out pretty well.

Well I don't know what pretty well means. I would wait until it is
happening again and look. There is no substitute for direct looking.

You'll be able to see if it is backed up at the downspout, if it is
near overflowing everywhere. The water in the gutter will be almost
level so you'll be able to see without a 12 foot straightedge how much
it is sagging. Although you should use a 3 foot straightedge too.

You'll be able to run the garden faucet at the same time it is
raining, and if it swallows both together without backing up, when it
is already overflowing at the bump, then it is not the downspout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Charles" wrote:

Sure looks like a clogged downspout and, as others have posted, a sagging
gutter plus a leaking joint as well.

I agree. I also wonder if that isn't the location of direct out-fall from
another system above such as a dormer or second story. Given that, a heavy
rainfall would cause what is pictured. In that case, a deflector at that
location might help. Wotta pain: Right over the garage door.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If downspout is clogged, wouldn't the waterflow spill over to the
sides completely rather than just that sagged/bent part? I just
checked the downspout and it does have some debris, but the water
still flows out pretty well.

I had a similar problem. The gutter looked clear and there was water
exiting the downspout. But I pulled out several handfulls of packed
dead leave from the 'S' bend in the downspot. The gutter overflows
when these leaves back up water due to a heavy downpour.