Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Gutter problem(Pics included)

On Jul 1, 12:03 pm, " wrote:
Hello,
I have a gutter problem now. When it rains, the water drains off the
gutter to the side. After it stopped raining, i checked it and there
was nothing blocking the drain. Also, i noticed the water dripping
underneath. I thought there might be a hole underneath it, but there
wasn't as far as my eye could see so it must be the water dripping to
the side and flowing down. What is causing this? The dent? Is there a
way to fix this without replacing the entire gutter. It is a metal
gutter. I have a few pics which one is during the downpour and the
other one with rain subsided quite a bit. Thanks.

The gutter can't handle that volume of rainfall. The dent is
providing a low spot, but there appears to be a reasonable amount of
slope to the gutter so it shouldn't be overflowing in the middle.
There's a restriction to the water flow somewhere for sure - I'd check
for blockage in the downspout (aka leader).

If the gutter overflows in less than monsoon conditions, you may
simply be asking it to handle a volume of water that it can't. Adding
another downspout would help, but that isn't always possible due to
problems with location. You'd also have to reset the gutter so it
would drain to both downspouts. Replacing the 5" gutter with 6" and
the 2" x 3" downspout with a 3" x 4" would most likely take care of
any capacity problems.

Easiest thing is to have the gutter replaced, but check for blockage
in the downspout that might not be visible before you spend any
money. Run a plumbing snake down it, or stick a running hose in it
and work it down to see if you can blow the blockage loose.