Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Rod is offline

Default How do I kill trees when all that is left is the stump?

I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they
continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for
all?

Rod

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Rod wrote:
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they
continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for
all?

"Paint" the stumps w/ Roundup or 2,4-D. If some leaves come back again,
let them and then spray them too for better takeup. If spray though, if
there's grass to not be killed, use the 2,4-D, not the Roundup, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Rod wrote:
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet
they continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and
for all?

"Paint" the stumps w/ Roundup or 2,4-D. If some leaves come back again,
let them and then spray them too for better takeup. If spray though, if
there's grass to not be killed, use the 2,4-D, not the Roundup, of course.

Also, it's best to hit them with an herbicide like Roundup immediately after
cutting them, so that the wound doesn't heal over. For invasives like
Brazilian Pepper you should try to use the herbicide within the first minute
or two after lopping off the growing part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 10:34?pm, "JimR" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
Rod wrote:
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet
they continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and
for all?

"Paint" the stumps w/ Roundup or 2,4-D. If some leaves come back again,
let them and then spray them too for better takeup. If spray though, if
there's grass to not be killed, use the 2,4-D, not the Roundup, of course.

Also, it's best to hit them with an herbicide like Roundup immediately after
cutting them, so that the wound doesn't heal over. For invasives like
Brazilian Pepper you should try to use the herbicide within the first minute
or two after lopping off the growing part.

gasoline will do it, just dribbled on whatever you want to kill.

yeah i know, its looked down upon but not that mnany years ago
everyone did it this way

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 01:34:06 GMT, "Rod" wrote:

I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they
continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for
all?

Rod

Cut the stump low enough that you can mow over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Rod wrote:
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard
sidewalk. I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at
all, and yet they continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these
tree stumps once and for all?

"Paint" the stumps w/ Roundup or 2,4-D. If some leaves come back
again, let them and then spray them too for better takeup. If spray
though, if there's grass to not be killed, use the 2,4-D, not the
Roundup, of course.

I like drilling a few holes in it and pouring the roundup down them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 01:34:06 GMT, "Rod" wrote:

I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they
continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for
all?

Rod

Cut the stump low enough that you can mow over it.

Depending on the variety, that may only encourage more shoots rather
than killing it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rod" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they
continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for
all?

Rod

Drill holes and fill holes with table salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 8:34 pm, "Rod" wrote:
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they
continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for
all?

Rod

Use a pick and shovel to dig up the stumps for removal. Bring in some
topsoil and cover the site completely. Grade it nice and smooth then
plant some grass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jun 28, 8:57 pm, dpb wrote:
Rod wrote:
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they
continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for
all?

"Paint" the stumps w/ Roundup or 2,4-D.

Good advice, except it needs to be undiluted straight out of the
bottle. Doesn't take much, just need to cover the area between the
wood and the bark all the way around the stump.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jun 29, 3:10 pm, Red wrote:
On Jun 28, 8:57 pm, dpb wrote:

Rod wrote:
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they
continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for
all?

"Paint" the stumps w/ Roundup or 2,4-D.

Good advice, except it needs to be undiluted straight out of the
bottle. Doesn't take much, just need to cover the area between the
wood and the bark all the way around the stump.

Red

Damn, how'd that second post get in there? Guess I double clicked
when I shouldn't have.
Red

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 28, 9:57 pm, dpb wrote:
Rod wrote:
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they
continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for
all?

"Paint" the stumps w/ Roundup or 2,4-D. If some leaves come back again,
let them and then spray them too for better takeup. If spray though, if
there's grass to not be killed, use the 2,4-D, not the Roundup, of course.

I've actually used clear lacquer when that was all I had handy. I
suppose any kind of spray paint would work, but clear doesn't make
your house look like the ghetto house.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rod" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they
continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for
all?

Rod

Use Brush Killer (2-4-d). Mix the concentrate with a small amount of diesel
fuel. Wet the stump (preferably a fresh cut), spill a little around the
stump.

That sucker will not bother you again.

Keep pets and children away from the treated are until it is well dried.

Okay I added the spill a little. For the flamers the rest of the directions
are on the label or used to be.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 02:34:44 GMT, "JimR" put together
some
random words that came up with:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Rod wrote:
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet
they continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once
and
for all?

"Paint" the stumps w/ Roundup or 2,4-D. If some leaves come back again,
let them and then spray them too for better takeup. If spray though, if
there's grass to not be killed, use the 2,4-D, not the Roundup, of
course.

Also, it's best to hit them with an herbicide like Roundup immediately
after
cutting them, so that the wound doesn't heal over. For invasives like
Brazilian Pepper you should try to use the herbicide within the first
minute
or two after lopping off the growing part.

Find a rental place and rent a stump grinder. It shouldn't cost much and it
will get the whole stump out in less than an hour.

My guess is that the insurance will be more than hiring someone in to do the
job. It only cost me $25 to have someone do this dangerous job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Rod wrote:
[...]

$25!? Where do you live? You can barely get anyone to make you a grilled
cheese sandwich for $25 around here. Any contractor, pseudo or not,
charges at least $75 just to show up at the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Find a rental place and rent a stump grinder. It shouldn't cost much and it
will get the whole stump out in less than an hour.

My guess is that the insurance will be more than hiring someone in to do the
job. It only cost me $25 to have someone do this dangerous job.

$25!? Where do you live? You can barely get anyone to make you a grilled
cheese sandwich for $25 around here. Any contractor, pseudo or not,
charges at least $75 just to show up at the door.- Hide quoted text -

Grinding the stump does not "get the whole stump out". It does a good
job but only grinds the stump down below grade where what is left of
it continues to decompose.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Lawrence wrote:
Find a rental place and rent a stump grinder. It shouldn't cost much and it
will get the whole stump out in less than an hour.
My guess is that the insurance will be more than hiring someone in to do the
job. It only cost me $25 to have someone do this dangerous job.

$25!? Where do you live? You can barely get anyone to make you a grilled
cheese sandwich for $25 around here. Any contractor, pseudo or not,
charges at least $75 just to show up at the door.- Hide quoted text -

Grinding the stump does not "get the whole stump out". It does a good
job but only grinds the stump down below grade where what is left of
it continues to decompose.

Or, in OP's case since it isn't yet dead, simply resprout again...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 3:43 pm, dpb wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
Find a rental place and rent a stump grinder. It shouldn't cost much and it
will get the whole stump out in less than an hour.
My guess is that the insurance will be more than hiring someone in to do the
job. It only cost me $25 to have someone do this dangerous job.
$25!? Where do you live? You can barely get anyone to make you a grilled
cheese sandwich for $25 around here. Any contractor, pseudo or not,
charges at least $75 just to show up at the door.- Hide quoted text -

Grinding the stump does not "get the whole stump out". It does a good
job but only grinds the stump down below grade where what is left of
it continues to decompose.

Or, in OP's case since it isn't yet dead, simply resprout again...

--

This may depend upon the species but my stumps did not re-sprout, not
even poplar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rod wrote:
: I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard
: sidewalk. I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at
: all, and yet they continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these
: tree stumps once and for all?
:
: Rod

This has always worked for me. Drill a 1/2" hole about 8 - 10 inches
down into the stump. Drill several if it's a large stump. Pour 50%
Roundup down the hole and plug the hole with silicone or other sealant
to prevent evaporation.

Larry
Australia