Posted to alt.home.repair

Default catv double cable

Ok, I hope I can explain this clearly. The cable tv company has a cable
coming to my house and going under my porch. There it hits a cable splitter
with 2 lines going to 2 different rooms. The cable coming in is a single
"strand". One of the room lines is also a single "strand". The other is a
double "strand", but only 1 strand is connected to the splitter. I imagine
this is leftover from when cable boxes had A/B knobs. In the room, both
strands come out of the wall, but only 1 has a proper connector on it, the
other strand is just cut.

Will the 1 "strand" work like a single cable, or will it need to be
replaced?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kitep wrote:

Ok, I hope I can explain this clearly. The cable tv company has a cable
coming to my house and going under my porch. There it hits a cable splitter
with 2 lines going to 2 different rooms. The cable coming in is a single
"strand". One of the room lines is also a single "strand". The other is a
double "strand", but only 1 strand is connected to the splitter. I imagine
this is leftover from when cable boxes had A/B knobs. In the room, both
strands come out of the wall, but only 1 has a proper connector on it, the
other strand is just cut.

Will the 1 "strand" work like a single cable, or will it need to be
replaced?

Hi,
What do you mean by strand? Coax has outer shield and center conductor
which could be solid single wire or multi-strand wire(think skin effect).
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:07:49 -0400, "Kitep"
wrote:

Ok, I hope I can explain this clearly. The cable tv company has a cable
coming to my house and going under my porch. There it hits a cable splitter
with 2 lines going to 2 different rooms. The cable coming in is a single
"strand". One of the room lines is also a single "strand". The other is a
double "strand", but only 1 strand is connected to the splitter. I imagine
this is leftover from when cable boxes had A/B knobs. In the room, both
strands come out of the wall, but only 1 has a proper connector on it, the
other strand is just cut.

Will the 1 "strand" work like a single cable, or will it need to be
replaced?

Does your tv receive programs? Programs above channel 13? If so, it
works.

Also, iiuyc, the cable guy wouldn't have left it this way if he didn't
think it would work. And if the same strand is connected to the
splitter as is connected to the tv, that should be fine

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kitep" wrote in message
Ok, I hope I can explain this clearly. The cable tv company has a cable
coming to my house and going under my porch. There it hits a cable
splitter with 2 lines going to 2 different rooms. The cable coming in is
a single "strand". One of the room lines is also a single "strand". The
other is a double "strand", but only 1 strand is connected to the
splitter. I imagine this is leftover from when cable boxes had A/B knobs.
In the room, both strands come out of the wall, but only 1 has a proper
connector on it, the other strand is just cut.

Will the 1 "strand" work like a single cable, or will it need to be
replaced?

Is the "second strand" on the outside of coax?If it is it is a ground wire
and is not really necessary unless you are hooking up something than needs a
ground.It is mostly used to go to satellite dishes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I agree.

2 "strands" are just 2 separate coax cables joined together for
convenience when both an "A" and a "B" cable were used.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 04:25:21 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Kitep wrote:

Ok, I hope I can explain this clearly. The cable tv company has a cable
coming to my house and going under my porch. There it hits a cable splitter
with 2 lines going to 2 different rooms. The cable coming in is a single
"strand". One of the room lines is also a single "strand". The other is a
double "strand", but only 1 strand is connected to the splitter. I imagine
this is leftover from when cable boxes had A/B knobs. In the room, both
strands come out of the wall, but only 1 has a proper connector on it, the
other strand is just cut.

Will the 1 "strand" work like a single cable, or will it need to be
replaced?

Hi,
What do you mean by strand? Coax has outer shield and center conductor
which could be solid single wire or multi-strand wire(think skin effect).

According to the original post, "strand" isn't referring to stranded
wire (all the TV RF coax I've seen has had solid wire) but dual coax
(2 coax cables with the outer jackets connected, like zip cord).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:51:27 -0400, "digitalmaster"
wrote:

"Kitep" wrote in message
Ok, I hope I can explain this clearly. The cable tv company has a cable
coming to my house and going under my porch. There it hits a cable
splitter with 2 lines going to 2 different rooms. The cable coming in is
a single "strand". One of the room lines is also a single "strand". The
other is a double "strand", but only 1 strand is connected to the
splitter. I imagine this is leftover from when cable boxes had A/B knobs.
In the room, both strands come out of the wall, but only 1 has a proper
connector on it, the other strand is just cut.

Will the 1 "strand" work like a single cable, or will it need to be
replaced?

Is the "second strand" on the outside of coax?If it is it is a ground wire
and is not really necessary unless you are hooking up something than needs a
ground.It is mostly used to go to satellite dishes.

I think they call that extra wire (not coax itself) a "messenger
wire". The first time I saw one it was being used to ground a
satellite dish. A cable installer told me it was usually used to
physically support overhead cables rather than for any electrical
purpose. Since the OP mentioned dual cables, I expect the "strand" he
referred to was not that, but a second coax (with independent
shielding).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Kitep" wrote in message
[...]

people in large groups"- Hide quoted text -

You mean something like this?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=304&sku=43066

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
What do you mean by strand? Coax has outer shield and center conductor
which could be solid single wire or multi-strand wire(think skin effect).

It's like 2 coax cables connected together. They can easily be pulled
apart, like pulling apart Twizzlers licorice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"digitalmaster" wrote in message
Is the "second strand" on the outside of coax?If it is it is a ground wire
and is not really necessary unless you are hooking up something than needs
a ground.It is mostly used to go to satellite dishes.

No, it looks like 2 coax cables stuck together. Though come to think of it,
I have seen this same stuff on a satellite dish before (a big 6' dish, not
the small ones they use now)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
According to the original post, "strand" isn't referring to stranded
wire (all the TV RF coax I've seen has had solid wire) but dual coax
(2 coax cables with the outer jackets connected, like zip cord).

YES!!! Now that I know it's call dual coax, I'm able to google it. That's
what it is. Thanks. I truly appreciate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
You mean something like this?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=304&sku=43066

Yep. That's it. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:49:34 -0400, "Kitep"
wrote:

"digitalmaster" wrote in message
Is the "second strand" on the outside of coax?If it is it is a ground wire
and is not really necessary unless you are hooking up something than needs
a ground.It is mostly used to go to satellite dishes.

No, it looks like 2 coax cables stuck together. Though come to think of it,
I have seen this same stuff on a satellite dish before (a big 6' dish, not
the small ones they use now)

The first time I saw dual coax, was with satellite internet. That
setup used separate transmit and receive cables. Dual coax is also
common with mini-dish satellite TV (where you need separate cables for
each polarization).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

Coax for CATV installation? Nate Nagel Home Repair 13 January 18th 07 04:03 PM
CATV splitter? Nate Nagel Home Repair 14 January 15th 07 10:02 PM
Voltage on analog CATV line Robert Green Home Repair 14 May 27th 06 10:26 PM
Samsung CATV module [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 28th 05 05:00 PM
CATV - Cable Signal Leak pray4surf Home Repair 15 December 22nd 04 02:19 AM