Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default catv double cable

On 27 Jun, 14:33, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:51:27 -0400, "digitalmaster"

wrote:

"Kitep" wrote in message
Ok, I hope I can explain this clearly. The cable tv company has a cable
coming to my house and going under my porch. There it hits a cable
splitter with 2 lines going to 2 different rooms. The cable coming in is
a single "strand". One of the room lines is also a single "strand". The
other is a double "strand", but only 1 strand is connected to the
splitter. I imagine this is leftover from when cable boxes had A/B knobs.
In the room, both strands come out of the wall, but only 1 has a proper
connector on it, the other strand is just cut.

Will the 1 "strand" work like a single cable, or will it need to be
replaced?

Is the "second strand" on the outside of coax?If it is it is a ground wire
and is not really necessary unless you are hooking up something than needs a
ground.It is mostly used to go to satellite dishes.

I think they call that extra wire (not coax itself) a "messenger
wire". The first time I saw one it was being used to ground a
satellite dish. A cable installer told me it was usually used to
physically support overhead cables rather than for any electrical
purpose. Since the OP mentioned dual cables, I expect the "strand" he
referred to was not that, but a second coax (with independent
shielding).
--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"- Hide quoted text -

You mean something like this?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=304&sku=43066