Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC Returns In Basement

This is a continuation of a thread I started a couple of weeks ago...

Recap - I mentioned that my basement was much cooler than the rest of
my house, even with the basement AC vents closed. I asked about
cutting a whole in the return trunk to move some of the cooler air
upstairs. The consensus was that if I got my return air from the
basement, I would be limiting the movement of air in the other rooms.

The last question I asked was never answered, so I'm giving it another
shot:

If I were to *open* the basement vents *and* add a return in the
trunk, wouldn't the basement now be just like any other room? Would
that help to balance the temperatures across the 3 floors?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 1:38 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
This is a continuation of a thread I started a couple of weeks ago...

Recap - I mentioned that my basement was much cooler than the rest of
my house, even with the basement AC vents closed. I asked about
cutting a whole in the return trunk to move some of the cooler air
upstairs. The consensus was that if I got my return air from the
basement, I would be limiting the movement of air in the other rooms.

That's true in a sense. If you open a return vent in the basement,
then theoretically your return vent upstairs would not pull as much
air, thus limiting movement of air. But I have a return vent in the
basement at the base of my combo furnace&a/c unit and I keep it open
because it takes out the humidity in the basement, and I don't notice
any real compromise in my return upstairs.

The last question I asked was never answered, so I'm giving it another
shot:

If I were to *open* the basement vents *and* add a return in the
trunk, wouldn't the basement now be just like any other room? Would
that help to balance the temperatures across the 3 floors?

No, I would not open the basement vents because then you are robbing
your vents upstairs of airflow. The cold air in your house will
naturally migrate down the the basement. And the basement is the
coolest part of your house. I would still put in a return grill that
is adjustable so you can experiment with it. You might find it
actually helps if you have a humid basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is a continuation of a thread I started a couple of weeks ago...

Recap - I mentioned that my basement was much cooler than the rest of
my house, even with the basement AC vents closed. I asked about
cutting a whole in the return trunk to move some of the cooler air
upstairs. The consensus was that if I got my return air from the
basement, I would be limiting the movement of air in the other rooms.

The last question I asked was never answered, so I'm giving it another
shot:

If I were to *open* the basement vents *and* add a return in the
trunk, wouldn't the basement now be just like any other room? Would
that help to balance the temperatures across the 3 floors?

Silly question ... Do you keep your basement door closed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:38:03 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

This is a continuation of a thread I started a couple of weeks ago...

Recap - I mentioned that my basement was much cooler than the rest of
my house, even with the basement AC vents closed. I asked about
cutting a whole in the return trunk to move some of the cooler air
upstairs. The consensus was that if I got my return air from the
basement, I would be limiting the movement of air in the other rooms.

The last question I asked was never answered, so I'm giving it another
shot:

If I were to *open* the basement vents *and* add a return in the
trunk, wouldn't the basement now be just like any other room? Would
that help to balance the temperatures across the 3 floors?

Thanks!

I think this is more than a "can I equalized" temps, but what do you
want to do?
Is your basement occupied? If not, then why spend money conditioning
the air to it?

Is the thermostat on everyfloor? If not, often it's differcult to
equalize temps completely over floors. (might try running fan often).

Is your basement humid? If so, your AC will work harder to remove the
moisture than cool down the living spaces.

See.... how there are more questions than answers.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.Info

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.Info- Hide quoted text -

I insulated my ducts in the basement, before it was to cold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The basement is not "occupied" per se, but it is used frequently
(laundy, bathroom, workshop, etc).

However, the second part of that question why I started this thread. I
don't want to spend money conditioning the air to it, but it is
happening anyway. Since my basement is 4 - 5 degrees colder than the
first floor, I feel that I am wasting money by having all that cold
air downstairs. I was hoping that a cold air return in the basement
would cause the blower to recirculate the cooler air to the rest of
the house, thus turning off the thermostat sooner.

- - Is the thermostat on everyfloor? If not, often it's differcult to
- - equalize temps completely over floors. (might try running fan
often).

I'm not looking to specifically equalize temps completely over all
floors, I'm just trying to recoup some of the cooler air that spending
all it's time hanging out in the basement. BTW - The fan runs 24-7
when the AC is on.

- - Is your basement humid? If so, your AC will work harder to remove
the
- - moisture than cool down the living spaces.

No, the basment is not any more humid than the rest of the house...no
moisture problems since I live on top of a sandy hill with great
drainage.

- - See.... how there are more questions than answers.

See....how I answered them all? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

ps.com...
wrote:

[...]

Once you start circulating air thru the basement, it will no longer stay
cool. Basements are typically cool because they are well insulated, not
because they have any inherent cooling capability. What you suggest will
increase, not decrease your cooling costs.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

I first must say that I am not an HVAC engineer, however I have a 4000 square foot house 2000 0n the main floor and 2000 in the basement.
There is a Central unit for both floors located in the basement. When
I bought the house the top floor had a return air duct located
upstairs. When the the temp reached the hi 90s or even 100 the best i
could get was 88 to 85 i call the AC pros and they said that my units
was under sized and wanted 8k$ for a better AC unit.
I theorized that if the basement was naturally cooler that if I pulled
the return air directly out of the basement that the return air would
be pulled down the stairs and cool before it was processed in the AC
unit. This tuned out to be true I no longer have to run my basement
HVAC an the upstairs runs a cool 72F.

Constructing air returns... [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 1st 07 03:14 AM
Radiators heating through returns when HW on... jamiep UK diy 4 August 31st 06 01:18 PM
B+Q returns [email protected] UK diy 16 February 25th 05 05:19 PM
Basement returns PVR Home Repair 2 January 12th 05 07:43 AM