Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default AC Returns In Basement

On Jun 26, 2:02 pm, Just Joshin wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:38:03 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

This is a continuation of a thread I started a couple of weeks ago...

Recap - I mentioned that my basement was much cooler than the rest of
my house, even with the basement AC vents closed. I asked about
cutting a whole in the return trunk to move some of the cooler air
upstairs. The consensus was that if I got my return air from the
basement, I would be limiting the movement of air in the other rooms.

The last question I asked was never answered, so I'm giving it another
shot:

If I were to *open* the basement vents *and* add a return in the
trunk, wouldn't the basement now be just like any other room? Would
that help to balance the temperatures across the 3 floors?

Thanks!

I think this is more than a "can I equalized" temps, but what do you
want to do?
Is your basement occupied? If not, then why spend money conditioning
the air to it?

Is the thermostat on everyfloor? If not, often it's differcult to
equalize temps completely over floors. (might try running fan often).

Is your basement humid? If so, your AC will work harder to remove the
moisture than cool down the living spaces.

See.... how there are more questions than answers.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.Info- Hide quoted text -

I insulated my ducts in the basement, before it was to cold.