Posted to alt.home.repair

Default settle tile install bet

My friend and I have a friendly bet about how to install tile in a
bathroom and shower.

I say tile walls first, then the floor
friend says tile floor first then the walls

anyone out their with their opinion on this subject.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't even consider jeopardizing a new floor installation by
coming in to do wall tile after. Scratches, stains, cracked tile,
and the delays of setting and grouting the floor would just not
make any sense.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 08:07:55 -0400, stainer wrote:

My friend and I have a friendly bet about how to install tile
in a
bathroom and shower.

I say tile walls first, then the floor
friend says tile floor first then the walls

anyone out their with their opinion on this subject.

Why the walls first?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DanG wrote:
I wouldn't even consider jeopardizing a new floor installation by
coming in to do wall tile after. Scratches, stains, cracked tile,
and the delays of setting and grouting the floor would just not
make any sense.

I've seen both approaches.

If do the walls first, need to have the subfloor preparation complete
first so the final _exact_ height is fixed and any necessary leveling,
etc., is out of the way. Otherwise, risk a fit problem at the base of
the wall in a spot or two--very little worse to compensate for than
having floor base tile hanging on the wall and not enough room to get
the floor tile under it correctly, or there being an uneven gap going
around the room. Best bet is to have the floor tile there so can use a
few pieces as gauge markers as starter course(s) are laid if do go that
route.

If there's only a single room, the time delay can be a problem if lay
the floor first, but I've never had a problem from a damage pov in
working over a new floor--just a modicum of care is all that is needed.
If there's more tile work like a new house, usually can simply move
from one area to the next and then come back w/o any loss of time. For
a homeowner, the time usually isn't wages-money so the same economics
don't really apply.

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., ...