Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for a hot-water tank controller

I've tried Googling on various search terms and haven't managed to find
anything, so here goes:

Does anyone know if there is available on the market a controller for
hot water tanks, whereby a float switch in a drain pan can shut off a
solenoid-operated valve on the cold water inlet and the 230v supply to
the heater elements? Or do the same in the event of a power failure?
Here's a bad ASCII art attempt at a schematic of what I have in mind:

115 Vac
L1 N
| |
) [bkr in svc pl] |
| |
| N/C FLOAT SW RESET (N/O PB) |
| __|__ |
`-----o--.-o--------+---o o---+----------+---(M)---+----------'
| | M | | |
^ `----| |----' `---(S)---'
: SOLENOID FOR N/C VALVE
230 Vac 2 ph :
L1 L2 : N
| | : |
)--- ) [2-ph bkr in : |
| | in svc pl] M .------. |
| `-------------------| |-----------| HTR | |
| M | TERM |-----------------'
`------------------------| |-----------| BOX |
`------'

The idea is that if the power goes off or the float switch opens, the M
coil d-energizes and the M contacts open. Because there's a sealing
circuit in the 120 supply to the coil, the system won't re-energize
until someone comes and pushes the reset button, thus keeping the system
safe if it should trip while I was away on holidays or what-have-you.
Alternatively, the float switch could be a flow switch in the drain line
from the drain pan.

So, anyone know if a ready-made controller like this is available on the
market?

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from
Posted to alt.home.repair

`------------------------| |-----------| BOX |
`------'

[...]

There are systems for you main that are common

Posted to alt.home.repair

`------------------------| |-----------| BOX |
`------'

[...]

There are systems for you main that are common- Hide quoted text -

could easil;y be built using a solenoid valve, water sensor, and a
heavy duty power relay.

since the number of failures are low, and a overheated element will
self destruct without damaging anything but itself I havent seen them
sold.

the important thing is good drainage for a leaking tank, and if your
going on vacation turn your tank off.

theres tons of stuff that can break while on vacation and cause havoc.
washers, dishwashers, any plumbing, electrical shorts causing fires
etc.

you cant prevent everything

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.smarthome.com/7115h2c.html
water heater shutoff valve

`------------------------| |-----------| BOX |
`------'

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Motor starters/relays have built in switches for the non-restart feature.
With a 3 ph relay, you can use the third set of contacts for this
non-restart feature.
Solenoids are available, and a microswitches with long arms are available,
to which a paddle could be attached.
The overall wiring is actually pretty simple.
Omega Engineering (NJ) I think sells flow meters/switches, but perty pricey.

Not a bad idea, really, for all these types of appliances. A solenoid before
any hosing should be operated by the appliance itself, to minimize
while-you-sleep disaster.

A nice main ball valve to shut off ALL the water is proly the best and
simplest hedge against vacation disaster. Ditto gas, some circuit breakers.

Moot for me, since I'm too broke for vacations.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

oups.com...

`------------------------| |-----------| BOX |
`------'

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Howard wrote:
http://www.smarthome.com/7115h2c.html
water heater shutoff valve

On Jun 22, 12:08 am, William Underhill wrote:
I've tried Googling on various search terms and haven't managed to find
anything, so here goes:

Thanks - that's almost exactly what I was looking for. Now to see if
there's a CSA-rated unit available...

Yours aye,
W. Underhill