Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Lutron Dimmer Burned Out?

Hi,

I have Lutron MAW-600 dimmer I installed many years ago using
incandescent lights in my kitchen light. I just switched to dimming
compact fluorescent bulbs and the switch shortly after stopped working.
The MAW-600 LED light does not light up so did I blow it? Are there
special dimmers for CFL's?

TIA,
Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 8:40 pm, Dan wrote:
Hi,

I have Lutron MAW-600 dimmer I installed many years ago using
incandescent lights in my kitchen light. I just switched to dimming
compact fluorescent bulbs and the switch shortly after stopped working.
The MAW-600 LED light does not light up so did I blow it? Are there
special dimmers for CFL's?

TIA,
Dan

I have several in my current house and had a bunch in my last house -
Two possibilities:

1) You bumped the little "off" switch on it.

2) You broke the "tap bar" which is a little internal plastic part
that the dimmer needs to function.

I'd bet on (1)

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:40:09 -0500, Dan wrote:

Hi,

I have Lutron MAW-600 dimmer I installed many years ago using
incandescent lights in my kitchen light. I just switched to dimming
compact fluorescent bulbs and the switch shortly after stopped working.
The MAW-600 LED light does not light up so did I blow it? Are there
special dimmers for CFL's?

Did you try it again with a real lightbulb? (none of that hippie
communist stuff)

TIA,
Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote:
On Jun 20, 8:40 pm, Dan wrote:
Hi,

I have Lutron MAW-600 dimmer I installed many years ago using
incandescent lights in my kitchen light. I just switched to dimming
compact fluorescent bulbs and the switch shortly after stopped working.
The MAW-600 LED light does not light up so did I blow it? Are there
special dimmers for CFL's?

TIA,
Dan

I have several in my current house and had a bunch in my last house -
Two possibilities:

1) You bumped the little "off" switch on it.

2) You broke the "tap bar" which is a little internal plastic part
that the dimmer needs to function.

I'd bet on (1)

JK

It is not the OFF switch. And the Tap bar has always worked. The LED
does not light up so I think a circuit blew?
Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Dan wrote:

.... Are there
special dimmers for CFL's?

No, there are not special dimmers for CFL's, but there are
special CFL's for dimmers. Most CFL's are not designed to
work with dimmers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lutron Dimmer Burned Out?

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Thu, Jun 21, 2007, 1:49am From:
(mm)
Did you try it again with a real lightbulb? (none of that hippie
communist stuff)

LMAO..My sentitments exactly..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

On 6/21/07 4:58 PM, M Q wrote:
Dan wrote:

... Are there
special dimmers for CFL's?

No, there are not special dimmers for CFL's, but there are
special CFL's for dimmers. Most CFL's are not designed to
work with dimmers.

The CFL's are marked dimmer lights but it says they may not with all
dimmer switches. What dimmer switch should I buy? I thought Lutron
mentioned on their website that they made special dimmer switches for
cfl's, but can't find it now.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair
H H is offline

You can write to Lutron and ask them to replace the switch (though I suppose
they'll ask you to promise not to try it on CFLs again). They're pretty
good about doing that.

Mailing Address: Customer Service
Lutron Electronics Company Co., Inc.
7200 Suter Road
Coopersburg, PA 18036

Phone Number: 1-(888) LUTRON1

Fax Number: (610) 282-3090

E-Mail Address: E-Mail:

"Dan" wrote in message
Hi,

I have Lutron MAW-600 dimmer I installed many years ago using incandescent
lights in my kitchen light. I just switched to dimming compact
fluorescent bulbs and the switch shortly after stopped working. The
MAW-600 LED light does not light up so did I blow it? Are there special
dimmers for CFL's?

TIA,
Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dan, Marty wrote:
Hey Dan. I would gladly take any defective dimmers you have. Awaiting your
reply .....

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ut-227230-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 20:44:01 +0000, Marty
m wrote:

replying to Dan, Marty wrote:
Hey Dan. I would gladly take any defective dimmers you have. Awaiting your
reply .....

Dan is digging through the land fill and will reply when he cleans up
and washes off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 8:40:09 PM UTC-5, Dan wrote:
Hi,

I have Lutron MAW-600 dimmer I installed many years ago using
incandescent lights in my kitchen light. I just switched to dimming
compact fluorescent bulbs and the switch shortly after stopped working.
The MAW-600 LED light does not light up so did I blow it? Are there
special dimmers for CFL's?

TIA,
Dan

I hope after 9 years he has things figured out..................
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dan, Marty wrote:
Dan: I am looking for burnt/fried Lutron Maestro-style dimmers for parts. I
will
pay the shipping. TIA

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ut-227230-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:44:01 +0000, Marty
m wrote:

replying to Dan, Marty wrote:
Dan: I am looking for burnt/fried Lutron Maestro-style dimmers for parts. I
will
pay the shipping. TIA

For the cost of me shipping you a working one you can buy a new one
locally. Repairing them would be a real crapshoot.
And they DO make special dimmers which I believe work better for CFs
etc. One triggers on the rising voltage, the other on the dropping
voltage - so one ramps up and turns off hard, the other turns on hard
and ramps down (sign wave). Google reverse phase control - designed
for use with low voltage lighting with electronic transformers so
likely better for electronic ballasted CFs as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, Marty wrote:
My Lutron Maestro dimmers are breaking mechanically. I want fried/burnt units
for the mechanical parts.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ut-227230-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:44:01 +0000, Marty
m wrote:

replying to clare, Marty wrote:
My Lutron Maestro dimmers are breaking mechanically. I want fried/burnt units
for the mechanical parts.

All I can say is "good luck" They aren't worth enough for it to make
sense for me to try to fix one - and I don't throw away ANYTHING that
makes ANY sense to fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is a 9 year old post, hopefully he has replaced the dimmers by now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mm, Pedro Silva wrote:
Hippie? Way before my time, and Im not communist, but do you know how
stupid you sound? Do carry clubs for electrical tools???

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ut-227230-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 9:44:13 AM UTC-4, Pedro Silva wrote:
replying to mm, Pedro Silva wrote:
Hippie? Way before my time, and Im not communist, but do you know how
stupid you sound? Do carry clubs for electrical tools???

Do you know how stupid you sound, replying to a meaningless comment
in a ten year old post and asking the poster questions as if he's
waiting at his keyboard? HomeMoanersHub strikes again.