Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Glue carpet tack strips on radiant heat floor?

I want to install a very thin berber carpet on a radiant heat floor
with a thin pad. I know already about the insulating issues with
carpet and am not concerned with that part.

My tubing runs very close to the walls and I don't want the carpet
installers to nail down the tack strips. I have read that some
basement floor carpet installers will sometimes glue the tack strips
to the concrete, can the same be done for tack strips on my plywood
subfloor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 12:44 pm, Robert Allison wrote:
wrote:
I want to install a very thin berber carpet on a radiant heat floor
with a thin pad. I know already about the insulating issues with
carpet and am not concerned with that part.

My tubing runs very close to the walls and I don't want the carpet
installers to nail down the tack strips. I have read that some
basement floor carpet installers will sometimes glue the tack strips
to the concrete, can the same be done for tack strips on my plywood
subfloor?

Yes, it can be done. It will cost more to do that.

If you have plywood as a subfloor, you probably don't need to
glue it. The nails in the tack strips will not go through the
plywood.

It's also unlikely that the radiant tubing runs so close to the
walls. Normally it's held back a few inches and the tack strip is an
inch and a half from the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I want to install a very thin berber carpet on a radiant heat floor
with a thin pad. I know already about the insulating issues with
carpet and am not concerned with that part.

My tubing runs very close to the walls and I don't want the carpet
installers to nail down the tack strips. I have read that some
basement floor carpet installers will sometimes glue the tack strips
to the concrete, can the same be done for tack strips on my plywood
subfloor?

Yes, it can be done. It will cost more to do that.

If you have plywood as a subfloor, you probably don't need to
glue it. The nails in the tack strips will not go through the
plywood.

It's also unlikely that the radiant tubing runs so close to the
walls. Normally it's held back a few inches and the tack strip is an
inch and a half from the wall.

Well, mine does run 1.5 inches from the wall. Subfloor is also 1/2"
plywood on the radiant panels...which are also plywood.

I'm thinking of gluing the tackstrips myself and using liquid nails?
think that will hold it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I'm also guessing that the tack strip should be about 1 inch from the
wall??? sound right?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
[...]

Initially, but I've had problems w/ construction adhesive for the long
haul. Plain old carpenters' glue would be my choice if were going to
actually glue them down.

But, how long are the nails in the strips? Not enough to penetrate the
subflooring and the distance to the radiant tubing which isn't directly
in contact w/ the bottom of the subflooring, is it???

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Liquid Nails will hold the tack strip, but would it pull away when the
carpet is stretched in? Nail the strip down and be done with it..imo.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Typically the tubing distance from the wall is 1/2 of the field
spacing. Electric radiant cable runs more closely together, but you
have tubing (hydronic). What sort of radiant do you have that they
ran so close to the wall and why?

I still don't think you have a problem. The tack strip is typically
about 1/4" from the baseboard/wall, the tack strip is about 3/4" to 1
1/4" wide, and the nails are in the middle of the strip. As long as
you can tuck the carpet under the baseboard you're fine. If the room
is large, and you need to stretch the carpet more, then you'll want
the wider tack strip. Other wise the 3/4" will be fine with the thin
Berber. If you haven't installed the baseboard yet, even better.

Gluing will work, and liquid nails will be fine. Make sure you allow
time for a complete cure.

BTW, gluing is permanent, carpet is not. You'll be damaging your
subfloor when you go to change carpets and have to replace some of the
tack strip.