Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fireplace damper removal

How do I remove an old fireplace damper? I am putting in a stainless steel
tube for protection and I need to remove the damper...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 16, 12:39 am, "johnboy50"
wrote:
How do I remove an old fireplace damper? I am putting in a stainless steel
tube for protection and I need to remove the damper...

Find a friend with a cutting torch and he'll have it out of there
quick and clean. A plasma cutter is another good alternative. If you
feel masochistic, hack it our with a Sawzall. But perhaps the people
installing the liner may have a better idea. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Boy,
Using a sawsall will be a certain mess on your head. All that
vibration will certainly bring down an unwanted tidalwave of chimney
buildup and metal chips. The plasma cutter will be a better option for
tight quarters like a chimney. You make this liner insert sound as
though you are planning on doing it yourself? It is money well spent
to have something like this done by a service provider that is
experienced, especially if you dont own your own plasma cutter..
After your damper is removed you may want to consider a Chimney
Balloon or some type of chimney plug to serve as your damper. You dont
want that open hole to be left unclosed to release your AC in the
summer and heat in the winter.