Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seal Fireplace Damper

I want to seal the damper of my fireplace, which I never use. I thought it
was a narrow opening that I could easily stuff some insulation. However,
the damper is about 2' wide, and above it is a large chamber. Only further
up the chimney does it taper down to the square terracotta tube. The tube
is no more than 12"x12".

Since I can't really insulation from right above the damper, would I gain
much by stuffing insulation at the top of the chimney? The chimney is
capped of with a metal cap, which should keep the insulation dry, except in
a blowing rain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I want to seal the damper of my fireplace, which I never use. I thought it
was a narrow opening that I could easily stuff some insulation. However,
the damper is about 2' wide, and above it is a large chamber. Only further
up the chimney does it taper down to the square terracotta tube. The tube
is no more than 12"x12".

Since I can't really insulation from right above the damper, would I gain
much by stuffing insulation at the top of the chimney? The chimney is
capped of with a metal cap, which should keep the insulation dry, except
in a blowing rain.

I'm thinking of a similar idea, but doing it below the damper. I've got
about a foot of just brick. My idea is to cut a piece of cardboard to wedge
in there, leaving enough space for a lot of loose pink insulation. I'm going
to enclose the insulation in a plastic bag to make it easier to handle if I
want to remove it at some point. (Eliminate contact with it, in other
words).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 14:19:23 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

[...]

It's easier to just cut solid foam insulation to fit
just below the damper, and prop it in place with a stick,
or a television set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought an chimney balloon that fixed a similar issue in a zero
clearance fireplace that had a leaky damper. If you know the rough size
of the area above your damper or if you can measure it with a folding
carpenters ruler or tape measure you get a balloon that is apropriate
for the size of your chimney. Insert the balloon through the damper
opening and inflate it through the valve tube. You can find them at
http://www.chimneyballoon.us or I see northlineexpress.com and amazon
carries them as well.

I recommend the clear balloon version over the black balloon version
since you can buy a clear one of an apropriate size for your damper and
it installs into the chimney so you dont have to see it.