Posted to alt.home.repair

Default underground cable to pool

I need to run an electric cable/conduit out to my above ground pool from
the house. How deep do I need to dig the trench? The trench will be
about 20 feet long.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve K" wrote in message
I need to run an electric cable/conduit out to my above ground pool
from
the house. How deep do I need to dig the trench? The trench will be
about 20 feet long.

Call your local electrical inspector's office and ask them. I've found
them to be very helpful.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 3:50 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
NEC requires 18" in PVC

"Steve K" wrote in message

I need to run an electric cable/conduit out to my above ground pool from
the house. How deep do I need to dig the trench? The trench will be
about 20 feet long.

Thanks

I like using IMC. Usually only has to be buried 6" down, which makes
the job of digging the trench really easy. Costs more than PVC,
though.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 6:22 pm, "James" wrote:
What is IMC ??

--------------------------------------

I like using IMC. Usually only has to be buried 6" down, which makes
the job of digging the trench really easy. Costs more than PVC,
though.

JK

IMC is Intermediate Metal Conduit. It is about the same "weight" as
galvanized water pipe (sched 40). My local Borg carries it.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:17:09 -0400, Steve K wrote:

I need to run an electric cable/conduit out to my above ground pool from
the house. How deep do I need to dig the trench? The trench will be
about 20 feet long.

Depends on local electrical code.

and also what part of the world this buried cable is in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
news
NEC requires 18" in PVC

There are plenty of direct buried cables that meet codes, and in some cases
they are a better option then in conduit deployments. Of course this is all
based on a case by case basis.

"Steve K" wrote in message
I need to run an electric cable/conduit out to my above ground pool from
the house. How deep do I need to dig the trench? The trench will be
about 20 feet long.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:54:59 -0400, "Jackson"
wrote:

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
news
NEC requires 18" in PVC

There are plenty of direct buried cables that meet codes, and in some
cases
they are a better option then in conduit deployments. Of course this is
all
based on a case by case basis.

In the case of serviing pool equipment there is NO direct burial
cable that meets code.
You can use a cable inside a dwelling but once you get outside you
usually need a conduit with an insulated 12ga or larger ground. Local
codes can make this rule tougher. Some AHJs want to see conduit all
the way back to the panel.

Not only is that incorrect, but one could argue that a conduit from load
center to pool could actually cause a safety hazard in certain
circumstances.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There is every likelihood that you are correct, however his "above ground"
pool can be a "storable pool" if it's less than 42" deep. If so, only
sections 1 and 3 of
article 680 pertain . 680.21 is in sec 2 of the article

wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:55:59 -0400, "Jackson"
wrote:

In the case of serviing pool equipment there is NO direct burial
cable that meets code.
You can use a cable inside a dwelling but once you get outside you
usually need a conduit with an insulated 12ga or larger ground. Local
codes can make this rule tougher. Some AHJs want to see conduit all
the way back to the panel.

Not only is that incorrect, but one could argue that a conduit from load
center to pool could actually cause a safety hazard in certain
circumstances.

I didn't write article 680.21in the electrical code but this is what
it says

680.21 Motors.
(A) Wiring Methods.
(1) General. The branch circuits for pool-associated motors shall be
installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid
nonmetallic conduit, or Type MC cable listed for the location.

(MC is not listed for direct burial)

If you think it is unsafe, write a proposal to change it

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I don't know anything about the quality of "storable pool" equipment. My
only point is that the NEC doesn't require a conduit for an outlet supplying
a storable pool pump

wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:52:59 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

here is every likelihood that you are correct, however his "above ground"
pool can be a "storable pool" if it's less than 42" deep. If so, only
sections 1 and 3 of
article 680 pertain . 680.21 is in sec 2 of the article

It can be a storable pool but then it is limited to using "storable
pool" listed equipment. Most folks would rather do it the right way
and not have to use that mickey mouse stuff the storable pool industry
has.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Again, I'm not trying to speak to the quality of a listed "storable pool".
There is nothing in the OP's description that tells me that it's not
storable. If it happens to be " storable", he does not need to run the feed
to the outlet in conduit. You made a blanket statement referring to 680.21,
I'm merely saying that it doesn't apply to storable pools, even if they are
"crap"

wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:16:31 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

I don't know anything about the quality of "storable pool" equipment. My
only point is that the NEC doesn't require a conduit for an outlet
supplying
a storable pool pump

A lot of people look at this and think it is a loophole to allow them
to hook up their AG pool without following part II.
The critical point is you can only use listed "storable pool"
equipment on storable pools. This tends to be just what the name
storable implies. "Storables" are pumps with 25' cords plastic body,
double insulated and low enough power that they can share a circuit
with whatever other loads a general lighting circuit outside may
carry. A lot of these smaller storable pumps just hang over the rim
of the pool. and use a filter the size of a beer can.
The mere fact that he is running a circuit out to the pool implies
this is not a storable pool and he wants a real pump.
not this crap
http://www.intexstore.com/SubCategor...x?categoryID=2