Posted to alt.home.repair

Default All the hoopla over incandecent bulbs...

"Pop`" wrote in message
dicko wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:23:10 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

I just had a thought...

Pushing everyone over to CFLs from incandecent bulbs is supposed to
save a lot of electricity, right?

Well, how much power does it take to cook a roast for a family of
five in your average electric oven? Bet we'd save a lot more money
if we forced everyone over to microwave/convection systems.

NewScientist magazine recently ran an article on how long the minerals
in the Earth will last. It had this sentence in it

"He estimates that Zinc cold be used up by 2037, Both indium and
Hafnium - which is increasingly important in computer chips - could be
gone by 2017, and Terbium - used to make the green phosphors in
fluorescent lights could run out before 2012."

So the way I read this is that with the current demand for Terbium, we
stop making fluorescent lights in 5 years. With the increased demand
from CFLs, its some time sooner. Is that right? In 5 years we'll be
sitting in the dark and in 10 years we wont even be able to watch TV
while sitting in the dark.

I think I'm gonna make some large investments in the recycling
industry.

dickm

That's OK; the world ends in 9 years, anyway.

Oh no. Not again.

Bulbs? The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 June 12th 07 11:49 PM
Comparison of Low Energy bulbs (was Compulsory low-energy light-bulbs) Derek Geldard UK diy 1 March 16th 07 04:52 PM
Bulbs [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 9th 07 06:32 PM
OT - Bulbs Sue Metalworking 0 October 5th 05 01:27 AM
Bulbs John UK diy 9 August 12th 04 12:20 AM