Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hanging outlets

Not sure what they are called really. Those outlets that you typically find
in manufacturing environments - the ones in metal boxes hanging from the
ceiling. Is something like that legal for a home, if so, is there a
resource I can go to get parts for them, specs on how they are made? I'd
like to put them in my garage in lieu of mounting outlets to the wall. It
would give me a little more flexibility for my shop tools without having to
dismantle my work benches and move everything to install outlets in the
place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Not sure what they are called really. Those outlets that you typically find
in manufacturing environments - the ones in metal boxes hanging from the
ceiling. Is something like that legal for a home, if so, is there a
resource I can go to get parts for them, specs on how they are made? I'd
like to put them in my garage in lieu of mounting outlets to the wall. It
would give me a little more flexibility for my shop tools without having to
dismantle my work benches and move everything to install outlets in the
place.

Something like these?:
http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/re...e-power-reels/
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Grandpa" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
Not sure what they are called really. Those outlets that you typically
find in manufacturing environments - the ones in metal boxes hanging from
the ceiling. Is something like that legal for a home, if so, is there a
resource I can go to get parts for them, specs on how they are made? I'd
like to put them in my garage in lieu of mounting outlets to the wall.
It would give me a little more flexibility for my shop tools without
having to dismantle my work benches and move everything to install
outlets in the place.

Something like these?:
http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/re...e-power-reels/
--
Grandpa

No I'm thinking of actual outlets not extension cords. I can't find
anything to match them. Best I can describe them is outlets in (typically)
yellow metal boxes hanging from the ceiling by waterproof flexible rubber
conduit. Usually there's a spring attached to the conduit to relieve
tension on the cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

You could just run romex through flex conduit into metal outlet boxes.
The exterior boxes would look nicer.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

I assume what you want is a hanging box with more than one outlet. As
far as I know they are custom made. It is a flexible cord with an
outlet box on the end and the power supply box on the other end.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200310079.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jun 9, 9:00 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Not sure what they are called really. Those outlets that you typically find
in manufacturing environments - the ones in metal boxes hanging from the
ceiling. Is something like that legal for a home, if so, is there a
resource I can go to get parts for them, specs on how they are made? I'd
like to put them in my garage in lieu of mounting outlets to the wall. It
would give me a little more flexibility for my shop tools without having to
dismantle my work benches and move everything to install outlets in the
place.

Do you mean stuff like this?
https://www.hvcc.edu/about/construct...ctr030_jpg.jpg
http://www.troubleshooters.com/pool/..._assembled.jpg
http://www.rossbuilding.com/Renovation/IMG_0997.JPG
http://www.phys.ksu.edu/personal/was...1092_power.JPG

It's standard conduit. It think conduit is legal for all uses but you
need to ensure that the boxes are supported (on a stud or something).
But get better advice than mine.

This is "BX"
http://www.electrical-supply.net/ima...s/WHP-3(3).jpg
I don't think BX is legal for many uses anymore, but again, I"m sure
someone will have a say about it.

The only issue you might have is distance-to-use requirements, but
again, I'm not sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Nah, he is talking like those power cords you see hanging from ceiling at
McDonalds, powering the crap on the center island. Thick black cable,
presumably with strain relief built in, and locking connectors on the ends
to match up with the machines. No idea how they are tied to the feed box
above the drop ceiling.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you mean to use a bell box a bit like these:
http://www.bwfmfg.com/one-gang-outlet-boxes.html

using a strain relief connector a bit like so:
http://remke.thomasnet.com/viewitems/482-wire-mesh-grips-wide-range-strain-relief-grips/wide-range-strain-relief-grips?&forward=1
These braided wire "Chinese fingers" are a bit pricey, you decide
if you need one top and bottom. A regular strain relief el
connector at the top should be more than sufficient.
http://remke.thomasnet.com/category/tuff-seal-8482-cord-connectors-cord-grips?

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
Not sure what they are called really. Those outlets that you
typically find in manufacturing environments - the ones in metal
boxes hanging from the ceiling. Is something like that legal
for a home, if so, is there a resource I can go to get parts for
them, specs on how they are made? I'd like to put them in my
garage in lieu of mounting outlets to the wall. It would give
me a little more flexibility for my shop tools without having to
dismantle my work benches and move everything to install outlets
in the place.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 18:00:15 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Not sure what they are called really. Those outlets that you typically find
in manufacturing environments - the ones in metal boxes hanging from the
ceiling. Is something like that legal for a home,

Yes, but you have to call yourself a business. You could be
Eignevector Industries, Incorporated. Just put that on your
doorbell, of course. Don't use it anywhere else, unless you're really
incorporated.

Just kidding. Actually I don't know but if those extension cords on a
reel are legal, you could get the same effect by putting an outlet in
the ceiling and a plug on the end of whatever wire you're using. And
one staple near the plug to hold the cord to the ceiling. Down at
floor + 7 feet there would be no difference from what those factories
have. Then iiac, it would only be an extension cord and a better one
than most. You're going to use it a lot less than a factory, so I
don't think you need special strain reliefs.

BTW, iiuc you don't really say whether you want a flexible cord
hanging down or conduit. I think you mean flexible.

if so, is there a
resource I can go to get parts for them, specs on how they are made? I'd
like to put them in my garage in lieu of mounting outlets to the wall. It
would give me a little more flexibility for my shop tools without having to
dismantle my work benches and move everything to install outlets in the
place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 03:01:52 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

The only issue you might have is distance-to-use requirements, but
again, I'm not sure.

Nah, he is talking like those power cords you see hanging from ceiling at
McDonalds, powering the crap on the center island. Thick black cable,
presumably with strain relief built in, and locking connectors on the ends
to match up with the machines. No idea how they are tied to the feed box
above the drop ceiling.

These are called pendants in the code and the wire woven cable grips
are called kellums grips. This is not just a regular box hanging on
Carflex like the picture. If that is all you want to do it is easier
just to buy some 3 socket extension cords from the home store and hang
them from insulated eyes in the ceiling

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. A pendant.

A couple of other posts gave me the information on what I'm looking for.
But thanks, couldn't remember the name for what they were called.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
I think you mean to use a bell box a bit like these:
http://www.bwfmfg.com/one-gang-outlet-boxes.html

using a strain relief connector a bit like so:
http://remke.thomasnet.com/viewitems/482-wire-mesh-grips-wide-range-strain-relief-grips/wide-range-strain-relief-grips?&forward=1
These braided wire "Chinese fingers" are a bit pricey, you decide if you
need one top and bottom. A regular strain relief el connector at the top
should be more than sufficient.
http://remke.thomasnet.com/category/tuff-seal-8482-cord-connectors-cord-grips?

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Excellent, that was just what I was looking for.