Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I just learned water heaters have an "anode" and its important

I just got a used water heater (consumer electric) and I replaced the
bottom element that burned out because the sediment had collected
enough to cover it. Well, since it was outside, I flushed it all out.
Then I read about the most important factor of a water heaters life in
the anode. I shined a light inside and saw a long rod that looked
like in was suck in the ocean for years, with so much buildup that it
looked bumpy. I took it out and it is a aluminum version, How do I
clean it? lime away and some scraping? My labor is cheaper that
buying new parts or heaters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

davidlaska wrote:
I just got a used water heater (consumer electric) and I replaced the
bottom element that burned out because the sediment had collected
enough to cover it. Well, since it was outside, I flushed it all out.
Then I read about the most important factor of a water heaters life in
the anode. I shined a light inside and saw a long rod that looked
like in was suck in the ocean for years, with so much buildup that it
looked bumpy. I took it out and it is a aluminum version, How do I
clean it? lime away and some scraping? My labor is cheaper that
buying new parts or heaters.

Labor can't replace material. Its called a "sacrificial" anode for a
good reason. See he
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/Longevity/water-heater-anodes.html

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

"Grandpa" wrote in message news:rdfai.7$pd5.5@trnddc02...
davidlaska wrote:
I just got a used water heater (consumer electric) and I replaced the
bottom element that burned out because the sediment had collected
enough to cover it. Well, since it was outside, I flushed it all out.
Then I read about the most important factor of a water heaters life in
the anode. I shined a light inside and saw a long rod that looked
like in was suck in the ocean for years, with so much buildup that it
looked bumpy. I took it out and it is a aluminum version, How do I
clean it? lime away and some scraping? My labor is cheaper that
buying new parts or heaters.

Labor can't replace material. Its called a "sacrificial" anode for a good
reason. See he
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/Longevity/water-heater-anodes.html

--
Grandpa

Why do they call it an anode?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 12:16:35 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'

davidlaska wrote:
[...]

They were invented back in the days they used vacuum tubes, and these
tubes also had an anode. If they added a cathode, that would be one
hell of a tube. If it's an electric water heater, you already have
the filament (the heating elements). Maybe in the future they will
develop a transistorized water heater that also serves as the cpu for
your 100,000 mhz computer. (which is needed to run MS Vista).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:12:07 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

Labor can't replace material. Its called a "sacrificial" anode for a
good reason. See he
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/Longevity/water-heater-anodes.html

Thanks for the link. My water heater looks new and hasn't given me
any problems although its almost 30 years old.. The last time I
checked was more than 10 years ago and other than vacuuming up a few
rust scales next to the burners I haven't had to do anything since.
The anode must have been exhausted by now. I'll change it. Maybe it
will do something about the hardwater problem I do have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 1:24?pm, Andrew Duane wrote:
Here's a silly followup question.

Do gas water heaters have an anode too, or just electric?

all metal tanks do.............

Posted to alt.home.repair

looked bumpy. I took it out and it is a aluminum version, How do I
clean it? lime away and some scraping? My labor is cheaper that
buying new parts or heaters.

Replace it.

Bob

so the OP got a used tank hopefully for free...........

by the time he replaces the anode, replaces the elements and cleans
the sludge out of the tank.....

Has he wondered where that sludge came from? Almost certinally from
the inside of the tank which is nearly rotted out

Now he has a old tank, thats less efficent than a new tank with high
efficency foam.

So his tank has cost probably cost nearly as much as a brand new cheap
short warranty tank

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:33:04 -0000, "
wrote:

looked bumpy. I took it out and it is a aluminum version, How do I
clean it? lime away and some scraping? My labor is cheaper that

You can't clean it. It's being eroded away on purpose, to prevent
damage somewhere else.

buying new parts or heaters.

Replace it.
Bob

so the OP got a used tank hopefully for free...........
by the time he replaces the anode, replaces the elements and cleans
the sludge out of the tank.....
Has he wondered where that sludge came from? Almost certinally from
the inside of the tank which is nearly rotted out

I thought the sludge was mostly dissolved minerals in the water, and
that the tank is glass-lined and didn't rot? No?

Now he has a old tank, thats less efficent than a new tank with high
efficency foam.

So his tank has cost probably cost nearly as much as a brand new cheap
short warranty tank

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

is the anode aluminum or ZINC?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
mm wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

The website posted by Grandpa (I think) says Magnesium or Aluminum. Good
site!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought the sludge was mostly dissolved minerals in the water, and
that the tank is glass-lined and didn't rot? No?

its rust the glass lining isnt perfect and fails over time which is
why tanks leak.

the fact the anode is eroded away is another indicator that tank is
old and on its last legs.

I love reusing stuff and saving money but this one is a loser....
sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

I thought the sludge was mostly dissolved minerals in the water,
and
that the tank is glass-lined and didn't rot? No?

its rust the glass lining isnt perfect and fails over time which is
why tanks leak.

the fact the anode is eroded away is another indicator that tank is
old and on its last legs.

I love reusing stuff and saving money but this one is a loser....
sorry.

My understanding is that periodically replaceing the anode can
significantly increase a wateh heaters life.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 08:43:53 -0700, davidlaska
wrote:

I just got a used water heater (consumer electric) and I replaced the
bottom element that burned out because the sediment had collected
enough to cover it. Well, since it was outside, I flushed it all out.
Then I read about the most important factor of a water heaters life in
the anode. I shined a light inside and saw a long rod that looked
like in was suck in the ocean for years, with so much buildup that it
looked bumpy. I took it out and it is a aluminum version, How do I
clean it? lime away and some scraping? My labor is cheaper that
buying new parts or heaters.

By the way, it's probably not aluminum, it's magnesuim. I once took
an old magnesium anode and filed off some dust. Then I put a torch to
the dust (outdoors in a safe place) and watched the fireworks. It
looked sort of like a sparkler.